460 smith&wesson

I started with a 44 Mag and thought it was all I would ever need for hunting. I soon found out that it wasn't for everything and all situations.
So I up graded to the 454. It worked well for my uses and I was happy for many years until I shot my brother in-law's 460 S&W. I was amazed at how it shot and the fact that It recoiled less than My 454 or my 44 mag.

the 200 grain Hornady loads are nice in the big pistol, but don't let anyone tell you that the heavy loads (300 + grains) are not exciting.
The 325s are my go to bullets and at 1955 ft/sec will do a number on hogs and deer and any other game you want to try it on.

J E CUSTOM
Out of curiosity, what brand of 325's are you loading? Maximum weight for the Hornady 452's is 300 grain.

Out of curiosity, what brand of 325's are you loading? Maximum weight for the Hornady 452's is 300 grain.

I like the Swift A Frame in the 325 and almost any 300 grain bullet brand like the Hornady XTP Mag. I found some HSM 325's and also Underwood 325 bullets in .452 dia.

You just have to look for them and when I find them I buy as many as i can.

J E CUSTOM

sparkyv, To attempt to add to your comfort with considering going to the 460 (X Frame, ported). It is "much more" comfortable to shoot than my 629, when the 629 is loaded "hot". My wife's comment on her first cylinder-full downrange with the 460...."That's not bad at all"! Recently, I had my 14 year old (inexperienced handgun shooter) shooting "max load" 400 grain hard cast. He was pretty comfortable, and shot pretty well!

With the firearms weight, and the porting......it's a "*Rule 4 Violation* cat" for the shooter, but lethal on the receiving-end! However, muzzle blast is "lethal" to the shooter! :D memtb

I figured the compensator would help mitigate some of the muzzle rise, but had not realized that it would mitigate the recoil to the degree y'all indicate. Again, good to know.

I figured the compensator would help mitigate some of the muzzle rise, but had not realized that it would mitigate the recoil to the degree y'all indicate. Again, good to know.

sparkyv, Before making a decision, attempt to locate someone near you.....maybe you could run a few rounds downrange. That would eliminate any questions/concerns you may have! memtb

Pretty hard to find someone that has one. Not a common handgun for one and not sure if you did find someone that had one if they'd let you shoot it anyway.

Pretty hard to find someone that has one. Not a common handgun for one and not sure if you did find someone that had one if they'd let you shoot it anyway.

Heck, I'm pretty centrally located.....not "that" far from anywhere! And, could be persuaded to allow someone to "fire-off" a few rounds.....all "in the name of science" ! :D memtb

Some indoor ranges have rentals in many different cartridges and If you can try any of the big bores to see how you handle the recoil, it should give you an idea.

If the range has something larger than a 44 Mag you can try that. The 454 would be a good comparison if My 460 has less felt recoil than the 454, so if you like it you will realy like the 460. The S&W brake helps, but it is the pistol design and the weight that make it manageable.

J E CUSTOM

Some indoor ranges have rentals in many different cartridges and If you can try any of the big bores to see how you handle the recoil, it should give you an idea.

If the range has something larger than a 44 Mag you can try that. The 454 would be a good comparison if My 460 has less felt recoil than the 454, so if you like it you will realy like the 460. The S&W brake helps, but it is the pistol design and the weight that make it manageable.

J E CUSTOM
If my wife can shoot it and so can my 76 year old hunting friend (he shoots in one handed), so can you. Absolutely nothing to be concerned about, well, except the noise and the brake wash.

If my wife can shoot it and so can my 76 year old hunting friend (he shoots in one handed), so can you. Absolutely nothing to be concerned about, well, except the noise and the brake wash.

Actually, shooting a big pistol one handed is a better way to reduce recoil
to the body because the one arm recoils farther and distributes the recoil over a longer time/travel.

My 444 contender pistol produces between 50 and 60 ft/lbs of recoil will actually injure your hands if you fire it with both hands. (It ripped the skin in the web between the thumb and fore finger on my sons hand) shooting it two handed.

The 460 produces between 15 and 20 ft/lbs of recoil (About 1/3 that of the 444 pistol)
so it is fun to shoot in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I saw this Video of big bore pistols and though it need to go on this post.

Enjoy.

J E CUSTOM

J E CUSTOM, I wish he would have tried the 3 cinder blocks lined up, using about a 440 grain hard cast (instead of a light JHP). I suspect that the results would have been somewhat different....maybe not all 3, but certainly 2! Maybe that's another video! ;) memtb

J E CUSTOM

Turns out a local range has one for rent. I'll may try it out, but I'm pretty sure I will be OK. Went to the Bass Pro yesterday and held a 500SW to get a feel for the X-frame, and it felt great. I'm hooked. Now just gotta save up the pennies! And for me that means saving extra for all the reloading accoutrements in two new calibers as well!

460 XVR Performance Center long barrel with brake retails for around 1500 bucks. Take 10% off which is the usual asking price. I use a Hornady die set but I use a Lee Collet crimper to crimp the necks. Starline brass only.

Neither Bass Pro nor Cabelas will have the 460 XVR. You'll have to get one at a LGS.

O might add, don't expect more than 3 reloads before you'll have neck cracks unless you anneal the necks, which I do even though it's not accepted practice. The heavy crimp takes it's toll on the case ends.

Same with my 44. I anneal them as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts