45/70 - the original long range caliber

preventec47

I cannot remember the details but I was astounded by some well documented and witnessed feats of marksmanship without optics back in the 1870 / 1880 -ish era. The trajectories were not impressive but they apparently were consistent. Anyone here ever play with a long barreled 45/70 ? I think Sharpes today sells a Tom Selleck version that I would love to own and shoot.

My 45-70 is a Marlin Century Limited III which is a short barrel rifle. I had a Browning 1886 and my buddy had Shiloh Sharps. Furthest I've shot my short barrel Marlin was 450 yards on steel. They are fun but be careful how you hold the rifle with the crescent moon buttpad. My buddy didn't like the point slamming into his shoulder pocket lol.

I have a five pound 12 ga shotgun and I put a slip on butt pad and it makes a huge difference in comfort when shooting magnum power slugs. I dont see why they would not be just as helpful on any other rifle.

I have a 1895GBL with the 18.5 in barrel, it is no fun to shoot hot loads. The design of the lever action doesn't handle recoil well, i have a deceleraror slip on and it helps guite a bit. The farthest i have hit anything is a milk jug at 150yrds with the factory semi buck horns. I would like to get a H & R Buffalo classic with vernier sights and play with it at distance.

I'm not a target guy bit my Remington rolling block with tang mounted peep and 34" bbl is fun out to 500 for me. I shoot cast 405's and black powder... Recoil isn't bad, more of a push.

well if you want the Quigley its a 45-110. It shoots a 535gr PPB"S (paper patch bullets) with 115-125gr of 1.5f black powder. I would like to shoot one but not own one, they really kick!!!. My 45-100 I use for 1k yard matches uses 105gr of 1.5F swiss powder, 520gr elliptical nose bullet, that is PP. If you look at what the shooters of the day were actually shooting at and compared it to today's targets....the scores were not that great, dont get me wrong they were great for the time though. Here is a little reading.....http://www.researchpress.co.uk/index.php/firearms/long-range/sandy-hook-1879?start=1
this is a really good article as well.

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/ri54partial.pdf

I have a 45-70 rifle, 45-70 pistol, 2/ 45-100"s, 32-40win and soon a 40-82 silhouette. I just ordered my shiloh and its around an 18mo wait, just a FYI.
Lots of fun shooting BP rifles thats for sure, If your ever in the WI area shoot me a PM and I can let ya have some fun!!!

I own a David Pedersolli 45-120 Sharps, it is the Quigley gun. It has a 34" Heavy Octagon barrel, the gun weighs 13 lbs, it is heavy and loaded with 500 grain Hornady soft point it is very accurate. The weight of the gun keeps the kick down, it will hurt after about 20 rounds in one sitting, but I wear a shoulder pad when I shoot. I have only taken it out to 300 yards and it is accurate.

I know the number behind the hash mark was the powder charge, or so I have been led to believe. Is there an actual difference in the cartridge dimensions?

The number after the caliber is the black powder charge, basically fill the case to the point it is slightly compressed by the bullet. Whatever you do, do not leave a void in the powder and bullet.

I know the number behind the hash mark was the powder charge, or so I have been led to believe. Is there an actual difference in the cartridge dimensions?

Gregg C,

The .45-110 uses a cartridge case length of 2.875" ( 2 & 7/8").
.45 -120 cartridge case length is 3.25" ( 3 & 1/4")
.45-70 cartridge case length is 2.10" ( 2 & 1/10")

DMP25-06

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts