45-70 Muzzleloader????!!!!

Trigger Time, Just get yourself a 45cal. muzzle loader, and load it with
70grs of Pyrodex, or one of the F powders. So you can leave your 45-70
the way it is, the OLD cartridge HAS VERYLY WELL STOOD THE TEST OF TIME,
and still going strong. I have 3, the Marlin lever, a NEF shorty, and the Buffalo Classic.
I wouldn't dare do to either of my singles, what you're thinking.
I just pull out my 45cal inline, load her and go........JMHO

I have lived in Unit 4 Idaho for 30 Years and muzzle loader hunted the entire time. Went from side lock
To inline. Have seen 2 really bad blow ups.
1 a double load 2 bullets and 2 loads in.
and a powder mix up. one shooter pretty messed up and lucky to have both eyes. Lotto is a cheaper gamble
And much safer. If I understand your principal correctly You have to remove the breech plug after each shot? Also the exact diameter of the hole from ignition source to the powder controls the burn rate .10,000"
Can change this.

I'll just be blatantly honest............. what you're attempting to do, is to injure yourself, others, or worse.

If you want to shoot a smokeless muzzleloader, for God's sake, have one converted by a PROFESSIONAL builder. Jeff Hankins will convert one and IF you follow his recommendations, you'll do well. Exceed them or experiment and you're looking for trouble.

Bullets must be sized properly to fit the bore. Its not just dropping a bullet into the barrel. Bullets MUST NOT work themselves off the propellant, or you'll have a pipe bomb.

I HIGHLY recommend that instead of asking on the reloading forum, you visit the muzzleloader forum here and other sites, and learn FIRST.

I'm not trying to belittle you or anyone else. I want you to remain SAFE.
This is true, heed this advice, just go get a muzzleloader I bought a TC just for this reason. It is also an excellent shooter, but go to the correct fotumm as well

I've built a few of them. Easier to get a plug and modules and have them installed. You will need plug in there in most states to qualify it as a muzzle loader "cannot be loaded from the breech". The conversion on a break action like that is pretty simple for someone like me to do. As long as you keep your powder charges in check and mark your rod so you don't double load, they are a good alternative to a full custom smokeless build.

There was a guy making plugs and modified 308 cases like the 700ML, but the arrowhead or hankins modules work very well and that's what I use on all my builds or conversions.

@TriggerTime426

Please, please heed the admonishment of @ENCORE and the others here and DO NOT attempt what you're talking about. Even in what "we" do with full custom SML builds and rifles designed for this there's always a chance of something going wrong "IF" you're not careful. These things COMMAND your FULL attention & respect at all times……trust me, I KNOW what I'm talking about. As I sit here and type this I'm lucky to have ALL my fingers and a face 😐. If you want to try SML's that's great!!! Please have one built by a professional who know's what they're doing. I invite you to check out the following thread:

With Respect,

Chris

Kyle Pittman at Pittman Bullets is also a wealth of information and his website is worth checking out. I started using his hard core bullets last year and was very pleased with the results.

If you're wanting to hunt with a muzzleloader, it has to have a screw in breech plug, as mentioned.

If you just want to play with black powder, then learn how to load 45-70 cartridges with black powder. It's easy, but there are procedures and cautions.

Brand new muzzle loaders can be had for a little over 200 bucks...

Vettepilot

Have y'all heard of a German Schutzen Rifle?
200 years ago they were loading rifles like you are talking about.
Watch this video they will show you how to do it.

or press the Easy Button: I have a H&R Handy Rifle . I ordered a 50cal muzzloader barrel for it , must use black powder or Pyrodex.

Last edited: