45-70 Muzzleloader????!!!!

TriggerTime426

I was thinking the other day, if I were to buy a 45-70 Crack open and trim down cases from a 45-70 round and use as a ignition system with the primer in the trimmed case and use smokeless powder would I have what I need for a .45 caliber muzzleloader? The only thing I'm not sure on is seating the bullet in the rifling it would just fall into the chamber.

I was thinking the other day, if I were to buy a 45-70 Crack open and trim down cases from a 45-70 round and use as a ignition system with the primer in the trimmed case and use smokeless powder would I have what I need for a .45 caliber muzzleloader? The only thing I'm not sure on is seating the bullet in the rifling it would just fall into the chamber.
Ya could possibly do that. Like take ur, H&R Buffalo Classic in 45-70, fire say five normal 45-70 rounds in the rig. Then de -prime and put in fresh primer for those cases but, don't resize them. Then put one of those primed cases in rig and close it up.Gotta then dump down the muzzle, a workable amount of Blackhorn 209, or 2F Black powder. Then grab a ramrod and maybe push the likely bullet down in there tightly over the powder. Might need a wrap or two of teflon tape around the slug. That'd be a muzzle loader in my cartoon bubble, it just might work!! Not sure the local Game Warden would approve of the logic, for muzzle loaders only season.

Last edited:
I'm bringing it up cause I no they convert 45-70 cva scouts to .45 muzzleloaders and I no they use a trimmed down "ignition module" but not sure how they r putting in the slug without goin past the rifling "or into the throat intended for the 45-70 round

I'm bringing it up cause I no they convert 45-70 cva scouts to .45 muzzleloaders and I no they use a trimmed down "ignition module" but not sure how they r putting in the slug without goin past the rifling "or into the throat intended for the 45-70 round
ThinkN ya could just leave case full length, then thru the muzzle pour in right amount of powder, which on a 45-70 is pretty much full case. Then push slug down tight over powder, thru the muzzle. Guess was thinkN the ignition modual would just be a full length case, not resized.Like a patched roundball, it's tight over your volume of powder, the cloth patch is a seal. Then if a guy needs a follow-up shot, ya got 4 extras 45-70's primed, just eject the fired case and repeat loading.

Last edited:
They bore it out, thread it and install a breech plug. Breech plug is your stop.

Last edited:
So the remington has threads in the "chamber" and a special chamber to hold powder/pellets and the the trimmed
.308 case into the plug

Yes a breech plug and casing

Attachments

• IMG_0540.jpeg
    IMG_0540.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 126
I'll just be blatantly honest............. what you're attempting to do, is to injure yourself, others, or worse.

If you want to shoot a smokeless muzzleloader, for God's sake, have one converted by a PROFESSIONAL builder. Jeff Hankins will convert one and IF you follow his recommendations, you'll do well. Exceed them or experiment and you're looking for trouble.

Bullets must be sized properly to fit the bore. Its not just dropping a bullet into the barrel. Bullets MUST NOT work themselves off the propellant, or you'll have a pipe bomb.

I HIGHLY recommend that instead of asking on the reloading forum, you visit the muzzleloader forum here and other sites, and learn FIRST.

I'm not trying to belittle you or anyone else. I want you to remain SAFE.

I agree with Encore. Have an experienced professional do the conversion. Arrowhead Rifles built my smokeless .45 on a Rem 700. There are others such as Hankins.
There is really no new territory to explore. If you want to shoot mono bullets you will need the drop from the barrel for the custom die.
Check out Hank's message boards for research.

Recent Posts