.45-70 Grizz Defense

Ended up finding a barely used (4 rounds down) Marlin 1895SBL today for a great deal.

We drew elk in Wyoming and will be hunting some of the densest grizz territory in the state with a buddy that's a local (taking us into wilderness). I'm in Idaho so I'm around bears but not grizz as much where I hunt.

My question is, what round would you personally be using if you had a grizz charge?

My buddy says they usually run into 2-4 every year in the area. Only one hairy situation as they're pretty cautious. Yes I'll also be carrying bear spray.

Just curious on a round that has the best stopping power. Thanks!View attachment 377119
Get some Garrett 540gr Hammerheads. It's what I would carry in that situation.

Black or not this hunter did not positively identify his target as a safe and LEGAL target. Its not hard to tell the difference between a black bear and a grizzly. This hunter obviously got too excited, saw a bear and shot. And he made a poor shot. Two wrongs which made a bad situation even worse.

Lever gun la la land if hunting with bow. One or the other . Carry a pistol and bear spray. I don't get it. It's scary chit hunting north fork etc. even with a rifle. Especially alone. I won't do it. Not worth it. Dog. Spray, pistol and rifle. With a bow... ? Not me. I'll learn from others mistakes ..

Black or not this hunter did not positively identify his target as a safe and LEGAL target. Its not hard to tell the difference between a black bear and a grizzly. This hunter obviously got too excited, saw a bear and shot. And he made a poor shot. Two wrongs which made a bad situation even worse.
I can't find it. What state was he hunting ? That would answer it....

Last edited:

Take some of the tests with photos of bears and try to identify…..it's easier said than done! memtb

I found this for when a 45-70 isn't enough for grizzly.:)
wr9m843ggicdhrupqdri.jpg

Take some of the tests with photos of bears and try to identify…..it's easier said than done! memtb
With good light and good angles and lots of time, it is not too hard to identify which is which. But I have looked at some of each and studied them for a while trying to decide if I was seeing a black bear or a grizzly. Large mature bears make it easier too. Those young bears make it tougher for sure. I have seen a large honey colored black bear in some solid grizzly country that would have given many people the wrong impression. And I have watched a very dark, almost black, grizzly that would have fooled many people.

It is indeed easier said than done, particularly in the real world.

WyoWind

I had a 45-70 built on a bolt action that I've dumped a lot of big game with and without a doubt, loaded like you mean it, it's one of the best cold dead stoppers out there and heck ya I took it bow hunting, bow goes on the pack loaded gun in hand, especially into the Bob or nearer the parks. It will slam a bears front end down into the dirt, only gun I ever hit an elk with that would fold them on a dead run with one through the lungs, used 300 gr soft hollow points for elk and 520 solids for everything else. Load them like a modern rifle not a Trapdoor and it'll stop anything you point it at!

With good light and good angles and lots of time, it is not too hard to identify which is which. But I have looked at some of each and studied them for a while trying to decide if I was seeing a black bear or a grizzly. Large mature bears make it easier too. Those young bears make it tougher for sure. I have seen a large honey colored black bear in some solid grizzly country that would have given many people the wrong impression. And I have watched a very dark, almost black, grizzly that would have fooled many people.

It is indeed easier said than done, particularly in the real world.

WyoWind
I rarely see a black bear hear. Always grizzers.

I rarely see a black bear hear. Always grizzers.
I have found black bears on the edge of the country claimed by the grizzlies. The honey colored black bear was a big exception, something I never expected. It was big enough to maybe hold its own with a smaller grizzly, but it was treading in very dangerous territory.

Where I hunt, I always assume any bear is a grizzly until proven otherwise. Usually it is just what you think it is.

WyoWind

Recent Posts