44Magnum and standard Large pistol primers

FWIW: Winchester Large Pistol primers are the only brand that claims to work with regular and magnum. The others (to the best of my knowledge) make a separate primer for regular and magnum.
Just adding my 2c

Attachments

• 1607529511832.png
    1607529511832.png
    186 KB · Views: 77
I use a lot of Blue Dot in the .44 and .41 with cast bullets. Can only get 2 to 3 inch groups at 200 meters with open sights. Have never used a mag primer with this powder.

Never used a std primer with 296, but only use 296 with jacketed bullets.

I've loaded a ton of 44 mags with various jacketed bullets and H110/W296. I never considered using anything but LP mag primers. Wasn't the 44mag their primary market??

Last edited:
Over the decades, I've loaded many, many thousands of varied magnum loads for handguns and carbines, and the vast majority of those loads, cast and jacket, were loaded using standard primers. If a mag primer gave better groups, then I would use it, or if I was hunting in very cold temps. Blue Dot, 2400, H110, 296, Lil'Gun and a few surplus powders have all been ignited by varied standard primers. I can't recall every having one that did not ignite. YMMV

go with the Winchester primers as suggested if you want a super accurate load that's fun to shoot it's a cowboy load put a 250 gr cast bullet over 6.0 gr of win 231 it's fun to shoot and u will be amazed at the accuracy.

H110, W296, AA Enforcer, 2400, Unique all fired with std primers,(CCI, Fed, Win) and have over 4k rounds thru my 41mag never have I had an issue at any temp. Only trouble I had was FTF with seller an bellot.

None of the AA powders require a mag. primer, nor does 2400 or blue dot... I use a lot of Tightgroup and Herco for lead in the 44 and that is standard or win primers too. The slower ball type powder ought to get a mag. primer just to ensure great ignition, but other than that a standard primer will do fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.