44 magnum rifle load

My Sierra manual lists data for 44 mag rifle. Max load (also the accuracy load) is listed at 20 grains for their 300 grain JSP. Data was developed using a Win 1894AE with a 16" barrel and a 1:38 twist.
086D4ED2-FA7E-4FD9-8A44-3DE445CE707A.jpeg

Two things worth mentioning:

1. H110 and W296 are the same powder and the only difference is the labeling. The difference that you see in reloading manuals is due to the different lots being used.

2. The Hammer bullet at 205gr may be a good idea because I had issues using Barnes XPB bullets that were (IIRC) 225gr. They ate up too much case capacity. I'd be very interested in the terminal performance of the new Hammer pistol bullets because they are a non-expanding bullet. I'm not sure how a cup point style pistol bullet performs on game but I'm certainly interested.

I sent Steve at hammer an email about the twist rate that's recommended for the 205 grain 1-30 compared to my 1-38. Depending on what he says I may just order the sample pack to give a try. That's very interesting varmint hunter about H 110 and W 296 being the same powder.

Two things worth mentioning:

1. H110 and W296 are the same powder and the only difference is the labeling. The difference that you see in reloading manuals is due to the different lots being used.

2. The Hammer bullet at 205gr may be a good idea because I had issues using Barnes XPB bullets that were (IIRC) 225gr. They ate up too much case capacity. I'd be very interested in the terminal performance of the new Hammer pistol bullets because they are a non-expanding bullet. I'm not sure how a cup point style pistol bullet performs on game but I'm certainly interested.
I hope to let you know this fall. I'm shooting them in my Super Redhawk and TC Encore 209x50 ML and really like what I'm seeing so far accuracy wise.

When there can be 1/2gr or more difference I wouldn't say they are the same just in lot #. Heavier bullets the numbers start getting separated more. At 240 and below there is at times there is .2 or less change. Loading for 50ae with the 3 powders can be a world of difference.

I hope to let you know this fall. I'm shooting them in my Super Redhawk and TC Encore 209x50 ML and really like what I'm seeing so far accuracy wise.
Interesting - I hadn't considered that. I shoot a 209x50 myself and have had very good results with the Barnes tipped MZ bullets with their provided sabots. "On paper" they did rather well at 300yds with a max charge of BH209. I've never actually shot anything over about 125yds with the ML.

When there can be 1/2gr or more difference I wouldn't say they are the same just in lot #. Heavier bullets the numbers start getting separated more. At 240 and below there is at times there is .2 or less change. Loading for 50ae with the 3 powders can be a world of difference.

"The only difference between
H110 and Winchester 296 is the label on the container. There is no
other difference."

Mike Daly
Customer Satisfaction Manager
The Hodgdon Family of Fine Propellants
Hodgdon Smokeless Powders
Winchester Legendary Propellants
IMR Propellants
Pyrodex
Triple Seven
Goex Black Powder

According to my manual/website research H110, 296, and Lil'Gun all need large pistol "magnum" primers to get good burning.
I will be starting to reload 44 Mag for a Marlin now that I have some components, ie Hornady 240 XTP and 300 lead gas check bullets, Starline brass, Lil'Gun, H110 and LPM primers. I'll be watching this thread to see how everyone else is doing as well.
33E4587A-C692-421A-9178-FA9F70B44E59.jpeg
F299B03A-FDA9-4405-8BE9-0F41E9ECDD84.jpeg

Last edited:
According to my manual/website research H110, 296, and Lil'Gun all need large pistol "magnum" primers to get good burning.
I will be starting to reload 44 Mag for a Marlin now that I have some components, ie Hornady 240 XTP and 300 lead gas check bullets, Starline brass, Lil'Gun, H110 and LPM primers. I'll be watching this thread to see how everyone else is doing as well.
Speer might be the only manual I've seen magnum primers listed. Hornady and Sierra show lpp. Now given that I only used mlpp in those powders you've listed. Don't fix what isn't broken.

"The only difference between
H110 and Winchester 296 is the label on the container. There is no
other difference."

Mike Daly
Customer Satisfaction Manager
The Hodgdon Family of Fine Propellants
Hodgdon Smokeless Powders
Winchester Legendary Propellants
IMR Propellants
Pyrodex
Triple Seven
Goex Black Powder
Here's what I've found (grain of salt).
H110 vmd cc/gr .0656, gr/cc 15.256
296 vmd cc/gr .0656, gr/cc 15.244

Close enough to call it the same and could be just lot #s?