44 mag Lever action itch

A while back I got the lever gun bug. Found a nice Marlin JM 357, a Marlin 44 Mag, and a Remlin 30-30. The 357 trigger was 3 1/4 lbs and that worked for me. The 44 was 5 1/2 lbs so I installed a Ranger Point trigger and spring and now it's 2 1/4. The 30-30 started at 8 lbs…YIKES…another RP trigger and it is now 2 1/4 lbs.
I took a nice 300 lb chocolate bear last fall treed by dogs with the 44.
Levers are ideal IMO for chasing game with dogs, self defense in camp for larger game, just plinking, and just plain fun!
You can make some very light loads for small game as well. I load the 30-30 with 110 fmjs ahead of Unique for small game and it seems to work well on grouse and bunnies.
Hope you find what you're looking for because they are easy to carry and fun to shoot. They accuracy can be really improved if you do a search on the web for info.

I also have an older Marlin. Think it's a JM.... It's accurate and incredibly fun to shoot plus it's by far the most comfortable to carry of any rifle I've ever owned except for an old Pre 64 Winchester 94 I used to have.

That Marlin is so much fun to shoot with 240gr SWC bullets loafing along at about 950fps that it's probably illegal or at least immoral. I'm afraid I could get arrested for having too much fun.

I've always hunted with God Dots and a max load of Lil Gun. Used to use 2400 but ran out and liked Lil Gun better.

I've scoped lever guns but frankly won't ever again. Kind of defeats the purpose and comfort of carry. If I'm gonna scope a small, light rifle it'll be one of my Model Sevens.

Just got a new Henry brass in 41 mag put a old Wever 2.5 on it hope it's a shooter. Should be lots of fun on white tails out to 125 yards.
As soon as I knew they were available I bought a Henry Big Boy Steel in 41M. At the time they were offered in a rifle (20") & a carbine (16"), I wish I had bought one of each, but I'm very happy with the longer barrel. Great companion piece for my 7.5" Ruger RedHawk. I wasn't aware a Brass model was available in the 41M, time to call a budget meeting.
Just talking has any one used a 41 mag for hunting?
I have taken WT & Javelinas with my 7.5" Ruger RH, with the longest shot being 65 yards. I spent several years hunting with HGs exclusively, using a 6" S&W 686 until I acquired the Redhawk. I haven't used my Henry for hunting, as of yet, but I'm not dead yet.

Two years ago I bought a 100 year anniversary of the Carson City Rifle and Pistol club Henry in .44 mag. I did it to support the club, of which I was then a member. I have since left the state and still have not got the Henry out of the box. I have a friend who bought the same gun, and it's a nice looking piece of work. I'll have to get it out and take a look at it one of these days.

I own the JM stamped Marlin 1984's in 357, 44 and 45, and I love those rifles. I shoot the 357/38 the most, but the 44 is a great shooter. For deer and similar, I have run the 240 GD, 240 Sierra and 240 XTP, but I have also used 200-255gr cast RNFP for shoulder shots and not waste as much meat as the HP's, and I have used 200 SP/HP a few times. For everyday fun shooting and it will take game, I run a load of 200gr lead cast RNFP at 1,200fps or so in 44 Spec brass. That same load in my handguns runs around 1,000-1,050fps for enjoyable shooting. During certain times of the year, I will run a 245g cast Keith type that runs around 1,200fps in the revolvers and 1,400-1,500fps in the rifle.

These rifles are easy to walk around with, enjoyable to shoot, but yet powerful enough to take deer and similar game within their range. Full power loads in the 44mag can easily take deer out to 200yds+, but if that is intended, I would recommend a low power scope to improve shot placement. That does change the handiness of these type of rifles.

I have the Rossi in a 24 inch 357. Slicked it up a little and put a spring kit in it. With a peep tang sight and a globe front it's a real shooter.
A side gate Henry in 44mag is on my want list. I really want the threaded barrel of the x model, but with a wood stock.

If you handload, 45 colt can be safely loaded far superior to 44 mag. I use loads that are halfway between modern and "paco kelly" loadings. They are fearsome
Although it is often compared to the more powerful 44 Magnum, the 45 Colt cannot be pushed to the same or even equal levels of performance. AS ALWAYS, USE CAUTION.

Don't need one, but really have an itch for a 44 Mag Lever-action rifle. They seem pretty hard to come by lately. From what I've read so far, my preference list in order would be 1) Henry-side gate- steel or model X, 2) Marlin/ Ruger, 3) Older Winchester, 4) Rossi. Has anyone owned, shot, handled or otherwise had the opportunity to compare these? I already reload for the cartridge, looking to expand the usage to easily carried rifle. Thanks in advance. Best regards, Jim
I picked up a Henry 001 big boy in 44m 13 years ago NIB at a gun show $900. It does not have side gate loading which I initially found inconvenient. Loading the tube I find is more of a chore than pushing 44's one at a time through the side gate. I got used to it, Found a way to quickly load the tube, in like 10 seconds or less. The rifle functioned smooth as butter from day one and still does a thousand rounds later. It shoots cast and copper bullets very accurately. I had 1x5 Leopold pig plex on it and could easily maintain 1inch at 100 meters. I eventually removed the scope and have been using the iron sights. We raised hogs and used it to off the big ones at butchering and bacon time. It did the job quickly.

I own savage, browning, Marlin, Rossi, Uberti and Ithaca lever actions. .22lr, .22mag, 327 fedmag, .357, .41, .44, 45lc, 45-70, 30-30, 308 etc. I like them all and yes I have lever action issues! I have 3 Rossi's and they are decent guns that are easy to slick up and make them very good. There was a gentleman that did a dvd on slicking them up for cowboy action shooting. Best 30.00 a Rossi owner can spend. I hunt Ohio so I have killed many deer with pistol caliber lever actions. I will get the 360 Hammer when it comes out too.