44 mag Lever action itch

FreeNHim

Don't need one, but really have an itch for a 44 Mag Lever-action rifle. They seem pretty hard to come by lately. From what I've read so far, my preference list in order would be 1) Henry-side gate- steel or model X, 2) Marlin/ Ruger, 3) Older Winchester, 4) Rossi. Has anyone owned, shot, handled or otherwise had the opportunity to compare these? I already reload for the cartridge, looking to expand the usage to easily carried rifle. Thanks in advance. Best regards, Jim

Had a Marlin and it just didn't work right compared to my other Marlins so sold it. Shot a Henry and it was decent. Found I just didn't like the pistol levers as well as a .30-30 through .45-70 chambered levers. The only one I kept in a pistol round was an older Converted Winchester 1892 in 357 that is a dream to shoot. If I where you I would probaly look more into a Henry for 44 mag now days in a lever. The older Marlins have a good following and can be a bit price. I wouldn't get a newer Marlin over a Henry. Especially a Remlin. Never did look into Rossi

In 1998 or 99 I bought a new Win 94 Legacy 44mag, 24" Bbl. Which I still have . Still like new with box. Babied, as one would say. Never hunted , What little it has been shot has been with my cast bullets only. Superbly accurate with my 314gr bullet. 1/20 twist. . As much as I like it , I want a Rossi stainless 44, 16" Bbl. "Stainless absolutely", to hold up against the wet weather we have hear. I'm tired of fighting wet conditions to keep a blued steel firearm from rust. I have seen blued steel rifles rust over night in huning camps. It, the Rossi , would be something I could carry daily cutting wood , etc on the property. Black & grizzly bears live in this area. My humble "opinion".

My dad has had two rossi 1892's in 44 mag, the 16" round barrel carbine and the 20" rifle length with octagon barrel. He sold the carbine, with heavier loads, the brass crescent buttplate would rock you pretty hard. I have shot them quite a bit, sweet rifles for sure! He has killed quite a few critters with it, a couple deer, elk and an antelope I think. I can tell you first hand, 290 grain hard cast rnfp's @ 1800 fps lay the smack down on timber elk in a big way. I would in no way hesitate on the rossi, function has been great, and it shoots about as good as you can hold buckhorn irons at 100. Has printed quite a few groups around 1.5".

FB_IMG_1578730569206.jpg

Last edited:
About 10 or 12 years ago I bought a Marlin Cowboy 44 mag lever action.I cleaned it,slugged the barrel and cleaned it again and shot it a few times and cleaned it again and put a tiny bit of gun oil on a patch and ran it through the barrel,put it in a gun sock and put it up and have not shot it again.
Lovely rifle, octagon barrel,nice wood and shot great.I love 44 mag and will use again some day but not right now.
Way too many other things going on right now.

Handled a new rossi a week ago that was new mfg... it was nice looking. I know some of the early 2000s ones had some faults, this one was pretty enough and had good enough fit and finish it was tempting.

I have high hopes that ruger will bring it's manufacturing prowess to marlin and eventually we'll see 1894s in the same volume as they crank out everything else. Kinda waiting on that myself.

I've got a rossi92 and it's been a good 1! The only bad thing I can say is it's a top eject. It's bad if you want to put an optic on it. There's a fix for it tho by ranger point precision. With a handguard change you can add an optic rail just forward of the ejection port. It's designed by Chris Costa.

I have a Henry in 44, (H001) i think. I reload Hornady XTP 240g for it and for my Ruger 44. same load in each. Its at most a 100-yard rifle for me with about 2-3" accuracy with open sights. Ive taken one small buck with it at around 40 yards. bang flop. Henry is a pretty rifle and a bit heavy. I paid 900. on Gunbroker for it. I like it over the Winchester 94 trapper model. Id buy a Henry again.

The rossi are clunky compared to a JM marlin or Henry. The lightest of the bunch for carry. The ones I had shot good enough to kill hogs with dogs. JM stamped marlin has always been my favorite light smooth and accurate. My 44 marlin is now a 500 JRH and I carry it weekly. I have a 44 Henry big boy steel. That gun is smoother than my marlin and very accurate but a little heavier. My Henry dosnt have the side loading gate.
If you are looking for a beater get the Rossi . Looking for something smooth and accurate get the Henry. Best all round for hunting and also accurate the JM marlins. I wouldn't touch the newer marlin with all the things I have heard wrong with them. I don't know if they have been straightened out or not.