Mule Deer hunt unit 44 idaho

QDG

Both wife and daughter drew unit 44 tags this year. I spent the week prior to the opener scouting without them and the first 5 days hunting with them. We saw several deer and elk. Most of the bucks were smaller. If anyone has some info on where to spend some time in the unit, that would be helpful. I've spent time in the chimney creek area and the wells summit area.

Thanks for the thread. I'm going back next week. Looks like taking horses might be the way to go. I've heard that the deer move out of 44 into 45 early. A local from the area was talking like you could see deer moving as early as the first week of October. Also, if that is the case does anyone know if the deer in 43 move down into the 44 unit? Something to think about when looking at different areas to hunt. I hiked to the top of sawmill creek adjacent to willow creek and the game trails look well used.

Most of the deer from this region winter in unit 45 and 53......
Movement depends on the weather there so far we have yet to have a freeze to start
any movement.
Horses are the best way to hunt this unit. A couple of weeks ago going west of Iron Mountain
saw a few nice bucks.... Smaller bucks will be down lower and as for the larger ones they
hide on rock bluffs...
Willow Creek area is a good area to hunt but most land is hard to get on but a few will allow you to get on their land to hunt.....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.