416 RUM

I've used both H414 and R17 in my 416 RUM with 400 a-frames and 340 CEB's. I push the a-frames at 2652 with single digit es and the 340's at 2982 again with single digit es. I've had the 340's over 3000fps and the 400's over 2700 but I settled on where the accuracy is. It is probably my most accurate rifle I own. I put an MBM 5-port beast brake on it and it is a pleasure to shoot. I got my dies from CH tool and die.

Reuben
PTG is making the reamer but cannot find anybody to make the dies. RCBS closed their custom shop, Hornady said at least 4- months, C & H has a set that was returned on the shelf ??? Lee says they have to have 5- fired cases so how can you send them 5- fired cases if you dont have dies ???

Rifle is built and dies shipped today. Started with New Remington Long Range in 300 RUM so bolt face, cartrige length were right, Bell Carlson full bed stock. Wilson 26" Stainless Match barrel that has been coated. MBM-Super Beast brake, 7075 scope rail w/2- steel dowel pins added and recoil lug and oversized screws locktited. (3)-6 screw tactical rings and rosened, Nightforce 3-10x 42 MOAR, 4-20 oz trigger set at 8 oz. PTG bottom metal for detachable A.I. Mags. Balanced well and lighter than expected

If I had an Lapua face bolt, I'd seriously would consider a 408 or 416 Lapua. CEB has that 400ish grain Maximus bullet for the 408 which looks pretty legit.

If I had an Lapua face bolt, I'd seriously would consider a 408 or 416 Lapua. CEB has that 400ish grain Maximus bullet for the 408 which looks pretty legit.
Well built the RUM and loving it so far. Starting with a Rem Longe Range 300 RUM build was easy. Reamer was easy PTG because of trademarks calls it a 416/300. Dies was the grief and agony. Took longer for stupid dies than ordering all the stuff and building it. And then the idiots will not build them off the reamer or reamer print them MUST have 5- fired cases before they will build the dies, think about that crap for a minute

I've used both H414 and R17 in my 416 RUM with 400 a-frames and 340 CEB's. I push the a-frames at 2652 with single digit es and the 340's at 2982 again with single digit es. I've had the 340's over 3000fps and the 400's over 2700 but I settled on where the accuracy is. It is probably my most accurate rifle I own. I put an MBM 5-port beast brake on it and it is a pleasure to shoot. I got my dies from CH tool and die.

I worked up my loads using Reuben's data. My 24" barrel .416 Rum, with best accuracy loads gets 2,671 fps with 400 gr Nosler Partitions, and gets 2,945 fps with the CEB 340gr MTH. 350gr bullets run at around 2,900 fps. This is with easy extraction and no high pressure signs in my rifle. Reuben's loads utilizing RE-17 are fast and accurate, and have shown far less pressure signs than other powders. especially given the velocities. I'm using a Redding 3 die set. This Montana AVR is one of the most accurate rifles I have. .375 RUM brass is readily available from Graf & Sons for $29.88/20 qty.

Thanks for your info. I would be using the Barnes 416 TTSX 350 gr. At 2,900 fps that would be awesome. My 416 Ruger node is 2,620 fps with the 350 gr TTSX. That custom shoots a ragged hole at a 100 yards and 1-9/16 group at 500 yards. But Nilgai on the coastal dunes at the King Ranch usually require a longer shot and a flatter trajectory with that awesome bullet would great. Even though we would not shoot at a critter that big tough past 500 your shot window for a spine or heart shot is small

Even though we tend to think of the 416 as a short range cartridge, If you get enough velocity, the big bullets will perform well beyond 500 yards.

I made a Nilgai hunt on the King Ranch with my 416 Buff, and used the 350 grain swift A Frame. I was expecting shots to 800 yards and had zeros to that distance. I was surprised how flat it shot and was confident it could do the job.

The 350's shot very flat (For something that big) and carried lots of energy. The rifle/cartridge could out perform me so it placed all the pressure on my shooting ability. Having shot iron sites for many years, the 5 power scope was not an issue
for such long shots. (All though more power would have been nice).

When you get the big bullets moving, it is amazing how well they hold energy and trajectory. when you run the numbers it will help you decide the maximum range you want to shoot.

I have been nothing but impressed with the BUFF (416/375 RUM).

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Even though we tend to think of the 416 as a short range cartridge, If you get enough velocity, the big bullets will perform will perform well beyond 500 yards.

I made a Nilgai hunt on the King Ranch with my 416 Buff, and used the 350 grain swift A Frame. I was expecting shots to 800 yards and had zeros to that distance. I was surprised how flat it shot and was confident it could do the job.

The 350's shot very flat (For something that big) and carried lots of energy. The rifle/cartridge could out perform me so it placed all the pressure on my shooting ability. Having shot iron sites for many years, the 5 power scope was not an issue
for such long shots. (All tho more power would have been nice).

When you get the big bullets moving, it is amazing how well they hold energy and trajectory. when you run the numbers it will help you decide the maximum range you want to shoot.

I have been nothing but impressed with the BUFF (416/375 RUM).

J E CUSTOM
With 200yd zero with Barnes 350 gr TTSX at 2,800fps it only drops 41" at 500 thats less than a 180 gr 30-06. It has 6,000lbs at the muzzle.

For anyone wondering about using Cutting Edge Safari Solid Bullets in a .416/375 RUM, I just tested the 400 grain version using 96.0 grains of RE-17, and the load produced 2,722 FPS (corrected for at time current ambient conditions, station pressure, and the 18 feet muzzle to chrono) in my 24" Montana AVG (.416/375 RUM). This yielded about 6,582 FT/LBS energy. With the Nosler 400 grain Partition, my same powder load yielded 2,671 FPS and around 6,335 FT/LBS. The brass CEB Bullet provided a velocity increase of roughly 51 FPS.
Both loads were very easy extraction with no pressure signs in my rifle . If you intend to use RE-17 and these bullets make sure you start at least 15% lower charge weights and safely work up to a safe load for your particular modern rifle.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of mine when I am not hunting Black Rinos on safari I am keeping the chipmunk
population in my back yard under control. I also have a 500 Rum that is a .501 pistol instead of the .510 rifle. The .501 bullet selection goes from 275gr through 700 and everything in between where as the rifle .510 Rifle is very limited. I also have a .501 made from Ruger .375 basic brass it has no bottle neck it is straight all the way like a 45-70 govt it holds 90gr plus of powder.
They are all 32" long 34" with the brake, I really need to cut them down to make them practical to carry around but don't have the courage to do so. When I run out of 375 brass I just use 404 Jeffries and that works just as well.

Dean

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

Last edited:
..hain't that mu h bigger than what ya got...lol...gotta have a love or a need to take that kind of recoil...also getting a little expensive these day for beating up paper.... but they are fun to let two or three go once in awhile.

For those wondering or not sure It's a round for a 50 Thumper "that's the pet name for it" and a 223 for comparison it launches a 300gr 3000 fps no problem. It like H4198 and H110 pistol powder.

Dean

Reuben
Can you send me data using the 340 CEB?