.416 application, 300 RUM vs. .375 RUM brass?

Glad your's has worked out Knc.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I had looked at the 45 Cal option but decided on the 416 Because of the ballistics and the fact that the 416 would not stress the case neck very much. I also thought about making it an AI because I am such a fan of the AI cartridges but decided not to based on the potential performance that It should be capable of and the fact that I also thought Remington would do the obvious and make a 416 RUM.

I named it the 416 Buff (buffalo) because at the time I had not found anything like it and there were no dies or reamers. I am sure that someone has done it before, but just couldn't find any record of it.

No matter what you call it it is a great cartridge and will take anything that lives on earth. Mine still doesn't have one of my brakes on it, but maybe someday.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
JE Custom, I too found your post, and at the time I was bored with my .416 Rem Mag, so I had the rifle re-chambered for the .416 RUM. This Montana AVR has a 24 inch barrel and chronographed 2,671 fps with a 400 grain Nosler Partition bullet and 2,945 fps with the Cutting Edge 340 grain MTH bullet, for best accuracy loads with cloverleafs often, without any signs of high pressure. It it is working out to be a super large game cartridge. The 340 grain MTH really turns this into a long range hunting rifle.
P.S. This cartridge provides power at a much higher power level than the normal 2,400 fps .416's, approximately at .416 Wby levels.

Last edited:
JE Custom, I too found your post, and at the time I was bored with my .416 Rem Mag, so I had the rifle re-chambered for the .416 RUM. This Montana AVR has a 24 inch barrel and chronographed 2,671 fps with a 400 grain Nosler Partition bullet and 2,945 fps with the Cutting Edge 340 grain MTH bullet, for best accuracy loads with cloverleafs often, without any signs of high pressure. It it is working out to be a super large game cartridge. The 340 grain MTH really turns this into a long range hunting rifle.
P.S. This cartridge provides power at a much higher power level than the normal 2,400 fps .416's, based on observed terminal effect, right at the .416 Wby.

I started with the 416 Rem Mag and was happy with it except the pressure issue at high temperatures. (In Texas we have those) I wanted to go brown bear hunting in Alaska and though it would be the perfect choice.

Many of my friends that hunted Africa, complained about the pressure issues also so I decided to build something that could boost the velocity by at least 200 ft/sec without the pressure of the 416 Rem. It did that and more. I have not tried the Cutting Edge 340 MTH but I will. I also exceeded 3000 ft/sec with the 300 grain barns and close to it with the 325 grain. (Still no pressure).

J E CUSTOM

I started with the 416 Rem Mag and was happy with it except the pressure issue at high temperatures. (In Texas we have those) I wanted to go brown bear hunting in Alaska and though it would be the perfect choice.

Many of my friends that hunted Africa, complained about the pressure issues also so I decided to build something that could boost the velocity by at least 200 ft/sec without the pressure of the 416 Rem. It did that and more. I have not tried the Cutting Edge 340 MTH but I will. I also exceeded 3000 ft/sec with the 300 grain barns and close to it with the 325 grain. (Still no pressure).

J E CUSTOM
Well my Barnes 350gr TTSX is 2,800fps trued on a Applied Ballistics app Kestrel, with compressed H4350 load, 215M primer with OAL at 3.750"
which is +.150". Boran Nitride coated bullets get me low single digit SD's usually 3 in a 5- shot string. I did not want to go with a faster powder and no more room for more H4350 but I am very happy. With a G-1 BC of .444 it shoots flat.

Glad your's has worked out Knc.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I had looked at the 45 Cal option but decided on the 416 Because of the ballistics and the fact that the 416 would not stress the case neck very much. I also thought about making it an AI because I am such a fan of the AI cartridges but decided not to based on the potential performance that It should be capable of and the fact that I also thought Remington would do the obvious and make a 416 RUM.

I named it the 416 Buff (buffalo) because at the time I had not found anything like it and there were no dies or reamers. I am sure that someone has done it before, but just couldn't find any record of it.

No matter what you call it it is a great cartridge and will take anything that lives on earth. Mine still doesn't have one of my brakes on it, but maybe someday.

J E CUSTOM
just got my 416 rum done. i.n my case i had a carbide reamer done by ptg to cut the hardened chamber of my blaser r93. benchmark did the work for me, even mad me two tapered dowels to neck up some cases to load and fire then send off with my reamer print to have the custom dies made. now i just need some loading data for the barnes tsx 400 gr. any powder and load suggestions? remington should have done this! its just better than the 416 rem.

J E CUSTOM
if you would like, feel free to contact me at 425 422 0104, allan