Difference in 416 Rum, Dakota,Buff etc

knc1105

I guess folks are scared of Remington trade mark, it looks like there are untold names for same cartridge I am having trouble finding reloading data for. 416 RUM, 416 Buff, 416 Dakota, 416/300, 416/375, 416 Roy, 40 Hart etc.. They are all based on a 404 Jeffrey case with same OAL. I have found load data for 416 Dakota and 1- 4064 load for a 40 Hart. I use Hodgdon Extreme powders because in Texas winter/summer you could have a 90 degree temp swing. Sure could use some help if J.E. Custom is out there?

I would start at max loads for the 416RM and work up.
I had to extrapolate loads for my 375 Weatherby this way, and I used 416 Weatherby loads and reduced them to get 416 Rigby loads back before it's resurgence.

Cheers.

There are lot's of good 416's to chose from if you just want to buy one.

I chose the 416 Rem Mag in the beginning because the Remington custom shop was making a beautiful rifle and ammo was available at the time. After a while I found it was loaded to the max, and as you said, Texas weather was to hot at times for Remington's loading and extraction was stiff.

At this point I began thinking about a wildcat chambering to gain capacity and be able to load more slow powder to get the same or better velocity without the pressure. I looked at all the possibilities
to use the rifle I had, and only came up with one possibility for my rifle that used a magnum bolt face with more capacity. The Big RUM case seamed to be the only option because all the others had different bolt face diameters and some were to big for the 700 Remington action in my opinion.

The RUM case looked perfect for what I wanted because it should end up somewhere between the 416 Rem and the 416 Weatherby (That required a totally different action. After talking to Remington engineers and being told that they had no intention of making a 416 RUM and rendering there 416 Rem Mag obsolete I decided to do one my self, but there was another problem. I couldn't make my self change the beautiful rifle I had, so I just decided to build one.

At the time, 375 RUM brass was available and as usual I bought 300 rounds of it. there are several brands still available but you will have to look for it. I named the cartridge the 416 BUFF for the cape Buffalo. And posted on it. https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/416-buff.21003/

I failed to post the velocities and load data at the time because it was still in the experimental stage But i will get may act together and post on it's performance. I can tell you that my powder of choice was H 4831 SC and "started" with 94 grains behind a 400 grain Barns and 96 grains behind a 350 Swift A Frame. It did reach and even exceed my velocity and accuracy goals with extreme ease. (And No Pressure). And was 200 ft/sec + faster than the 416 Rem Mag. To bad Remington Didn't do this and don't seem to care about one of the best cartridges they ever designed (The RUM's).

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
JE Custom, Thanks for your help, I figured H4831SC or possibly H4350 and I have them both in bulk. It is an amazing rifle and round but no reloading data. I found Hornady data for 400gr 416 Dakota which on the same case and OAL would be close. With over length A.I. Detachable mags my OAL is 3.750" which should reduce pressure and Boran Nitride coated bullets. I have Barnes 350gr TTSX in bulk for my 416 Ruger custom, some CEB 325gr Maximus and Speer 350gr Magnum Hot Core in bulk for my 416 Semi-Auto. I really appreciate your help. Your Buff post is why I built it.

JE Custom, Thanks for your help, I figured H4831SC or possibly H4350 and I have them both in bulk. It is an amazing rifle and round but no reloading data. I found Hornady data for 400gr 416 Dakota which on the same case and OAL would be close. With over length A.I. Detachable mags my OAL is 3.750" which should reduce pressure and Boran Nitride coated bullets. I have Barnes 350gr TTSX in bulk for my 416 Ruger custom, some CEB 325gr Maximus and Speer 350gr Magnum Hot Core in bulk for my 416 Semi-Auto. I really appreciate your help. Your Buff post is why I built it.

Thanks !!!!
It has been a great cartridge and has shot the best group of my life.
.034 # shot @100 yards with a 400 grain bullet. (Witnessed).

My favorite bullet for hunting is the 350 Swift A Frame. It will push it to over 2700 ft/sec without pressure issues and is very flat shooting for a big bore.

Recoil is brisk, but manageable. The most i have shot it at one setting is 50 shots with 400 grain bullets and I was ready for that 50th shot to be done:)

J E CUSTOM

If you go to Insane Accuracy on facebook I posted a slow motion 5- second video of the recoil, 416 RUM kicks less than a 243 with a MBM - Super Beast brake. That one sitting I shot 40 fire-lapping bullets and 10 trial loads so 50 total. It was a piece of cake my tiny wife could shoot it, without the brake I dont think I'd shoot it

If you go to Insane Accuracy on facebook I posted a slow motion 5- second video of the recoil, 416 RUM kicks less than a 243 with a MBM - Super Beast brake. That one sitting I shot 40 fire-lapping bullets and 10 trial loads so 50 total. It was a piece of cake my tiny wife could shoot it, without the brake I dont think I'd shoot it
The rifle build is the latest post the recoil video is second.

Last edited:
Thanks !!!!

My favorite bullet for hunting is the 350 Swift A Frame. It will push it to over 2700 ft/sec without pressure issues and is very flat shooting for a big bore.

Recoil is brisk, but manageable. The most i have shot it at one setting is 50 shots with 400 grain bullets and I was ready for that 50th shot to be done:)

J E CUSTOM
Just wanted to thank you on the 416 RUM working up from a 416 Ruger load to a max 416 Dakota load with H4350 and loading each round 1- gr more on the top 5- grs it was a 3/4" group with 5 full grs of powder difference, not 5/10 but 5 full grs, Unbelievable, you could load this thing with a Lee Dipper Was shooting Barnes 350 TTSX
Thanks !!!!

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts