410 for turkey?

Sgoakman

Also, I know for a fact that #9 tss at 1200fps muzzle velocity will kill a Turkey at a laser ranged 70yds.

Sgoakman

That was a 20ga and that was beyond the acceptable pattern range for a 20ga. It will consistently do killing patterns at 60 though. The 410 can do 50yds.

Elfego Baca

This spring we had Turkeys gobbling nearby.
Sometimes we spotted them and then we saw the gobbler.
Jordan 1/2 of our twin 11 year old grandsons was ‘in-line’ to harvest a turkey by virtue of Louize by wife.
I had Jordan shoot at a stationary laid down pop can. He blasted the can!
A few days later Jordan was able to approach the gobbler. He used a single shot 410 shotgun using a 3” shell loaded with 11/16 ounces of #6 shot. One shot to the head neck juncture put him down. 19.4 lbs before cleaning!

Attachments

• AEF8BD05-8A3F-4508-9DDC-F6DB815FD09C.jpeg
    AEF8BD05-8A3F-4508-9DDC-F6DB815FD09C.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 12

Frank in the Laurels

Unfortunately we still have gobbler chasers living in the past...with the TSS Federal shells in #9 shot and a good choke the pipsqueek little. 410 becomes a gobbler nightmare to 45 yards with no problem...if I wouldn't have seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it either...time to move forward...

Sealesniper

Can it be done? Sure. Should it be done? Probably not. I LOVE my small bores for dove and quail, and I have patterned them for turkey loads. I will not shoot at a turkey past 11 yards with a .410, regardless of what shell I use, just not ethical. Yes I know I just opened the flood gates of criticism. If you have one that will make the shot and you have patterned and know your max range, I support your decision to hunt with it. I will not and I did not say it should be illegal, I just said I will not try it, so no need to argue with me over it. With my bow, I can kill a turkey out to 45 yards. Because of being ethical to the turkey, my buddy and I will not allow anything less than 20 gauge in the turkey woods, or a bow.

codyadams

Can it be done? Sure. Should it be done? Probably not. I LOVE my small bores for dove and quail, and I have patterned them for turkey loads. I will not shoot at a turkey past 11 yards with a .410, regardless of what shell I use, just not ethical. Yes I know I just opened the flood gates of criticism. If you have one that will make the shot and you have patterned and know your max range, I support your decision to hunt with it. I will not and I did not say it should be illegal, I just said I will not try it, so no need to argue with me over it. With my bow, I can kill a turkey out to 45 yards. Because of being ethical to the turkey, my buddy and I will not allow anything less than 20 gauge in the turkey woods, or a bow.
If you would use a standard lead turkey load for a 12 gauge on a turkey at 25 yards, but wouldn't use a TSS 18 load out of a .410 at the same range, it doesn't really make sense. 11/13 oz of #9 TSS 18 has around 305 pellets, and carries energy/penetrates as good or better than #6 lead, and can be loaded around 1100 fps from a .410. A 2 oz load of #6 from a 12 gauge would be about the same speed, and would have around 440 pellets, so a little over a third again more, but if you have any experience with TSS 18, you know that it generally patterns better than lead, and has a plenty dense enough pattern out to a long ways with the right choke. Not trying to argue at all, just am unsure if you are aware of the specific qualities of TSS 18 that actually turns a .410 into a viable turkey gun. If we're just talking lead, then I woukd mostly agree with you.

Also, you might want to reference rule #1 of the forum. Link below.

Patton243

This post is like someone asking if a 223 is good for hunting deer. Yes, both will work but there's better options.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.