Locating calls for turkey

I use a loud box call when running and gunning to locate, especially if windy, and I try to move INTO the wind. I can call very loud, but the wind muffles my call, but I can hear the reply. Most of our woods are pretty open still in the spring, so I need time and distance to set up, as I don't want him to see me.
I also use an owl in the pre-dawn, or late evening the night before a hunt to locate. My real ACE in the hole is I only hunt private land, and I know where they will roost depending weather and wind. Seldom am I wrong as to where I think they will be roosted in the morning. Once I know where they are with quiet tree yelps, it is just 10-15 minutes before I am drawing the bow back.

If the middle of the day, the crow call sometimes works best, plus it just locates not attracts. Hit it hard and loud like an angry crow. You are wanting to illicit a shock gobble. As stated above, they will respond to loud noises. I have heard them shock gobble to a gun shot, as well as a truck door being slammed by a not so stealthy hunting buddy. Turkey was called in and shot, at about 40 yards from the truck.

Another good one that I forgot about is a dog whistle…. I'm talking about the ones that are so high pitched that it's tough for us to hear. My brother totes one in the spring that he swears by, It's called a silent whistle.
That's some crazy stuff, I have never heard of anyone using a silent dog whistle.
I'm not saying that I don't believe it works but that's definitely thinking outside the box.

That's some crazy stuff, I have never heard of anyone using a silent dog whistle.
I'm not saying that I don't believe it works but that's definitely thinking outside the box.

Picked up on a lot of things over years hunting with different people and going different places. I want to say he picked up on the idea from a Turkey hunting expo when we were young teens. He's obsessed with turkey hunting and is far more accomplished at it than me.

Heard a bird this past weekend while catfishing on the river…. Season can't come soon enough!
IMG_1174.jpeg

Was building a box blind for deer near the end of turkey season and cutting lumber with a battery circular saw in mid afternoon. Had birds firing off in three directions with every cut. Had been absolutely quiet in the woods for several days prior to it.