Which turkey call do you use?

Len, I will come out and teach you how to call the feathers out of a gobbler with a diaphram, for a discount on a strait shooting 7rsaum. LOL
Ya it's fun to carry around a lot of different types of calls, however the tactics is where the game is won or lost. The best wins I personally have ever experienced is after dueling with an old Tom for several days and, when He come in , just tip my hat and we both go our own way, both being winners.

Len, I like using friction calls. I use my slate alot. Sometimes I mix it up with a glass or aluminum. I used to pick up calls on sale at Midwest Shooters in Lomira in the off season. They all work sometimes. I use my Lohman box call if it's windy and I want more volume. I think it's more your calling stratagy than the actual call. Sometimes I don't call at all or I try calling aggressively, whatever seems to work. When you get confident with a call it works better. I don't mouth calls because I'm too lazy to learn them.

My go to call weather the birds out 500yards or in my face at 20 I turn to my trusty mouth call sure a lot of calls are nice but of the 10-15 calls in my vest it seems I always grab for the mouth call. This year just to shut my friend up I hunted the last weekend with no decoys and only took my mouth call and got myself my 3rd turkey of the season....

I have two custom slates a Reynolds Switchback and a Woodhaven. If hunting with partner these are the cat's meow. when flying solo I always end up with a mouth call. Split v II i believe is the one i frequent the most. I also like a moon cutter but i think they quit making it. The Reynolds by far is ole trusty. If he is gonna gobble that one will get a response.

I use a Blodgett slate call when I can get away with movement, However I hunt with a compound and don't use a blind so when they start getting close I switch to a mouth call.

Used a HS Strut synthetic slate pot call for about the last 23-24 of my last 33 turkey seasons with great success. As I started hunting as much on public as private Toms got whole lot harder to call in an kill VS private ground and I was now spending nearly if not all of all of the season to fill mine and my boys tags. I realized needed to have a selection of different sounding calls to be able to strike a cord with pressured Toms.

About five seasons ago I discovered and was intrigued by the new slate pot calls that used non-traditional surfaces like copper, brass, and ceramic. I am a HIGE fan of Matt Dale's turkey hunting instructional videos and one of his sponsors is
"Spring Fever Turkey calls". I went and bought one each a double sided brass/synthetic and copper/synthetic and slate/synthetic pot calls,. They are very well made and reasonably priced.
First time I used them was in 2016 and they definitely made a difference in getting the pressured Toms my friend and I chase on public land willingness to be called into gun range, especially the brass and copper faced calls.
Secondly over 15 years ago I got VERY good at using a elk diaphragm call. So when I decided to learn how to use a turkey diaphragm call 6-7 years ago it was relatively easy. But I will say not all diaphragm calls will be compatible and fit well with the roof of every callers mouth as many did not work with mine. I have had awesome success using Primos diaphragm calls. Using their true triple and double stacked diaphragm calls I've called in Toms from as far away as 400+ yards under the correct calling conditions and located many toms by using Primos mouth calls to get them to shock gobble especially late morning after the hens are bread and left the Toms alone to go tend their nest.

My all time most effective Primos moth calls are
The Limb Hanger
True Double
True Trippel
Any Primos moth call with a bat wing or ghost wing cut.
For the last 6-7 seasons the calls I bring are
1 copper/synthetic pot call
1 brass/synthetic pot call
1 each synthetic striker and cherry wood striker
1 paddle call
4-5 diaphragm calls.
Using either one or a combination of them I've never failed in 33 turkey seasons to call in at least one Tom for either myself, my sons or a friend.

Having said all THAT my No#1 most important reason I am a consistently successful turkey hunter is figuring out how to put myself, or my sons or a friend between the turkeys and where they want to go. My calling is about 20-25% of my success as a turkey hunter and actually knowing what call to make and when to use it IMO/IME is far more important then the actual calling itself.

I used to load up my coat with everything known to man !! Those days are long gone, these days I take one mouth call..a triple double cutter...and I call very very little and let them come a lookin'...
FB_IMG_1655812655529.jpg

Last edited: