.40 Hart?

alexkeyser

anyone have any info. on this cartridge? according to the R.W. Hart web site this cartridge will fire a 375 gr. "custom" bullet @ 2735 fps. also it is claimed to have 3,000 ft. lbs. @ 1000 yards. sounds interesting. maybe someone has already discussed this but I could not find any info.

They have a vid on you tube with the 40 Hart in action dumping deer out to 700+ yards but don't provide any details on the case design, on another website it was called the 40 Hart Ultra Magnum,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa6muCElauA]Long Range Hunting 40 Hart - YouTube[/ame]

I'm wondering if it's nothing more than a necked up 375 RUM
It would be really simple to just neck up and go, kinda like the 338 Edge from 300 RUM

At first look it would seem impossible but I am wondering if it isnt acheivable. I was researching a 375 for the new 350 smk and figured with the increased bore size that 2750 might happen in a 375. With the extra size of a 416 bore you might hit 2750 with a 375 gr bullet. I had thought of a 408 ultra years back but there are no lead core bullets. I dont build anything that berger or sierra wont build me a bullet in.

The 40 Hart does 3000 ft lbs at 1000 yards but with a 375 gr bullet,
I am certain I can get the same velocity and energy and probably beat it by a bit,

I ran the #s on my 416 wildcat with the 340 gr Cutting Edge bullet (.780 bc) at 2900 fps,
the bullet still has 1004 ft lbs energy and 1153 fps at 1750 yards !
At 1000 yards its 2275 ft lbs and 1736 fps

my 375 wildcat will beat the 375 Rum by 100 fps with the 350 SMK but with a shorter oal that fits in detachable AICS mags, gonna be smokin in a 28" 10 twist 5C Benchmark barrel..

originally was going with the RUM case but the long heavy high bc 416 bullets had to be shoved deep into the case reducing too much case capacity for my liking and we already have the 416 Dakota,
the 40 Hart is probably ran as a single shot with the bullets seated way out

I've shot it a good bit, my son used one in Africa to kill his lion. The 40 Hart does all that it advertises! With the Cutting Edge bullets, it is an extreamly accurate and powerful weapon. I was with Bobby Hart on two different occasions ,one on a slow day hunting groundhogs in Pa and saw Bob shoot a pigeon at 750 yards! A little too much gun for pigeons but small targets prove accuracy! At the range in Wyoming, we had a ram silloute at 1125 yards and when that 375 grain bullet made contact , it nearly twisted the target into ground! It can also be loaded with regular bullets for shorter distances on big African game. No PH is going to let you shoot a lion at 1000 yards. The cutting edge bullets in .416 will work very well way out there on elk,moose , and other large animals. The recoil with a brake is very mild, much less than I anticipated, about like a 7mm without a brake, more of a push than a punch. I know that it will be my next big gun!

Last edited:
Paphil ,

Is the 40 Hart simply a necked up 375 Rum or has it been "improved" in some way ?

My 416 PRO is on the 338 Norma Mag case with a bumped up 35 degree shoulder and .342" neck,
Water capacity about 109 gr and designed to seat bullets to the neck / shoulder junction no deeper, lots of room for powder !

just wondering how the 40 Hart is set up

Hart cartridges normally utilize the 40 degree shoulder like an ackley. My guess is a 375 rum necked up and blown out for a straiter case and 40 degree shoulder with a long tube to get the velocities up.

Reuben

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.