375 Ruger Longest Range Load

I think that's pushing the max for that combination, and doubt that's where you'll get best accuracy.
It is a top load but shows no pressure signs with the Barnes bullet. If you check Barnes published loads you will find they get 2835 out of a 24" barrel, so I am not pushing it real hard. I cannot get that velocity with a 270 grain cup and core, they top out at 2675. As far as accuracy, you are entitled to your opinion: I am entitled to believe what I see with my own eyes. It also matches my experience with Barnes in other cartridges, I have always got best accuracy from htem at near max loads and with a fair amount of jump.

Last edited:
It is a top load but shows no pressure signs with the Barnes bullet. If you check Barnes published loads you will find they get 2835 out of a 24" barrel, so I am not pushing it real hard. I cannot get that velocity with a 270 grain cup and core, they top out at 2675. As far as accuracy, you are entitled to your opinion: I am entitled to believe what I see with my own eyes. It also matches my experience with Barnes in other cartridges, I have always got best accuracy from htem at near max loads and with a fair amount of jump.
Nothing about your load seems hard for me to believe, and I have no idea why it would be inaccurate. My .358 Norma makes 280 grain a frames hit 2800 FPS out of its 27.75" barrel (it's long!).

Even though your barrel is 6 inches shorter, neither of these are particularly overbore to begin with, they're not going to suffer from a shorter barrel the way small bore magnums might. I don't see any reason why the 375 ruger wouldn't be able to drive a lower bearing surface bullet thats 10 grains lighter in conjunction with larger bore diameter to push with out of a higher capacity case to AT LEAST the same speed as my .358 Norma even with a shorter pipe, it should for sure be going faster out of equal barrel lengths!

I think that's pushing the max for that combination, and doubt that's where you'll get best accuracy.

Most often my best groups are at maximum loads…..this is with several different rifles and cartridges!

Example: most recently, I was very near 3100 fps mv average from my 375 AI with 270 grain Barnes LRX's! The groups were actually quite good even once I passed into the excessive pressure ranges! 😉 memtb

Most often my best groups are at maximum loads…..this is with several different rifles and cartridges!

Example: most recently, I was very near 3100 fps mv average from my 375 AI with 270 grain Barnes LRX's! The groups were actually quite good even once I passed into the excessive pressure ranges! 😉 memtb
Well, it seems I'm the odd man out, cause I've only had 1 rifle, (338 RCM) that achieved exceptional accuracy at max load, or perhaps I'm just not pushing my other rifles hard enough. It seems I'm generally a grain or a bit more below max when I get what I perceive to be my acceptable accuracy threshold.

Looking for some advice on the longest range load for this particular caliber. Specific to whitetails. I know it's an odd caliber but some new legislation has made this legal where I am hunting (.35 caliber and above). I've had this gun for sometime and the current load I have is reloader 17 and nosler's 260 accubond. Also have some older 260 nosler ballistic tips. Both shoot well and average 2825 fps.

I've looked at the 4Dof charts to get an idea of velocity down range. I don't have any experience with the references projectiles to decern their ability to open down around 2000 fps.

Is there a better long range projectile for extending my range whitetail hunting? Do any of you have experience with these Nosler bullets past 300 yards?

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
A 35 cal hole is going to wreck havock on a whitetail wether it expands or not. That's the diameter most 30 Cals expand to under ideal conditions

Well, it seems I'm the odd man out, cause I've only had 1 rifle, (338 RCM) that achieved exceptional accuracy at max load, or perhaps I'm just not pushing my other rifles hard enough. It seems I'm generally a grain or a bit more below max when I get what I perceive to be my acceptable accuracy threshold.

Is that manual "max" or the rifle/cartridge "max"?

While I'm not advocating my hand loading style…..I generally exceed book maximums! Or in the case of my AI, as there was no book "recipe" to follow……I used my highly revered SWAG system! 😉😁 memtb

Is that manual "max" or the rifle/cartridge "max"?

While I'm not advocating my hand loading style…..I generally exceed book maximums! Or in the case of my AI, as there was no book "recipe" to follow……I used my highly revered SWAG system! 😉😁 memtb
I'm about 3/4 of a grain over book max. I guess I'm too chicken liver to keep pushing past book max. I didn't realize I was past book max on the RCM. I'm thinking I'm gonna back it down when I get around to reloading some ammo. It's getting time to put the guns aside for a while, and start cranking on the bow.

I'm about 3/4 of a grain over book max. I guess I'm too chicken liver to keep pushing past book max. I didn't realize I was past book max on the RCM. I'm thinking I'm gonna back it down when I get around to reloading some ammo. It's getting time to put the guns aside for a while, and start cranking on the bow.

I'll push them pretty hard…..but, only on hot days! I allow the rifle and cartridges to reach ambient (90+ F). If they're safe on hot days…..theoretically, they should be safe at any time! That's my story and I'm stick'n to it! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
Nothing about your load seems hard for me to believe, and I have no idea why it would be inaccurate. My .358 Norma makes 280 grain a frames hit 2800 FPS out of its 27.75" barrel (it's long!).

Even though your barrel is 6 inches shorter, neither of these are particularly overbore to begin with, they're not going to suffer from a shorter barrel the way small bore magnums might. I don't see any reason why the 375 ruger wouldn't be able to drive a lower bearing surface bullet thats 10 grains lighter in conjunction with larger bore diameter to push with out of a higher capacity case to AT LEAST the same speed as my .358 Norma even with a shorter pipe, it should for sure be going faster out of equal barrel lengths!
I bet that 358 picks up steam now in terms of sales At least in Iowa.

Hopefully so, would like to hear your report one day. They supposedly work well on game up close or far.

Recent Posts