375 Ruger Longest Range Load

Can someone…..anyone…..please give me an unemotional definition of what "overkill" is!!!

I contend that it does not exist….. in a legal, shoulder fired rifle that is fairly easily carried by the hunter in the field!

Explainations welcome! 😉 memtb
No such thing, as those that use it are clueless…ever felt undergunned? I know I have a few times, but never had to resolve to running away or climbing a tree. Had to scramble pretty hard when I shot a water buff with my 375 Weatherby with a 260g Accubond, had to shoot from behind a termite mound until the gun was empty, **** thing kept getting up and charging, only time I considered my cartridge and bullet choice was very, very bad. The same combo had not one hiccup on the next hunt, even though I was hesitant, but this was a test using the then new Accubond. I was backed up by my buddy running my 416 Rigby, but I told him not to shoot unless I was gonna be squished, lol.
I recovered those bullets too…interesting outcome on 2 of those.

Cheers.

Looking for some advice on the longest range load for this particular caliber. Specific to whitetails. I know it's an odd caliber but some new legislation has made this legal where I am hunting (.35 caliber and above). I've had this gun for sometime and the current load I have is reloader 17 and nosler's 260 accubond. Also have some older 260 nosler ballistic tips. Both shoot well and average 2825 fps.

I've looked at the 4Dof charts to get an idea of velocity down range. I don't have any experience with the references projectiles to decern their ability to open down around 2000 fps.

Is there a better long range projectile for extending my range whitetail hunting? Do any of you have experience with these Nosler bullets past 300 yards?

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I've read about guys building .375 Ruger for long range with 350 grain MatchKings and such. From memory I believe they were getting performance (external) similar to a .308 shooting heavy-high BC bullets like the 215 Berger. It's slow but the BC really aids in extended range wind deflection and retained velocity. There are lots of high BC .375 bullets, but only a few that would stabilize in what I'm assuming is a factory barrel with the 1-12" twist I read is standard. The 325 grain Cutting Edge Lazer comes to mind, has a G1 BC well over .7 and will stabilize in a 12" twist. Plus it is advertised as expanding down to 1200 fps. Then there are the lighter Badlands Bulldozer 2, they don't have as high a BC and I believe they advertise expansion down to 1900 fps.

Edit: my point is that there are options, depends on where you want to compromise, as I see you having to do so somewhere to get more performance in what you have.

Here's a bizarre story that happened in iowa 2 years ago. Father and son got up early to go deer hunting. They went where they going, father dropped off son, and he continued up the road about half mile, if my memory serves me correctly. The son walked a few rows in a standing corn field, sat down, and then went to sleep. The farmer that owned the land didn't know they were out there, and he was chopping silage with one of these specialized, ginormous choppers that would chop 12 rows at a time. I'm not gonna finish the story, as you can figure out where I'm going with this and how it ended. Badly. Very badly. Seems like someone does something stupid every year here, and someone of someone else ends up getting hurt or killed. While this story has nothing with shooting ultra long range calibers, shooting ultra long range cartridges in iowa, I think would just add another means for someone to do something stupid.

Here's a bizarre story that happened in iowa 2 years ago. Father and son got up early to go deer hunting. They went where they going, father dropped off son, and he continued up the road about half mile, if my memory serves me correctly. The son walked a few rows in a standing corn field, sat down, and then went to sleep. The farmer that owned the land didn't know they were out there, and he was chopping silage with one of these specialized, ginormous choppers that would chop 12 rows at a time. I'm not gonna finish the story, as you can figure out where I'm going with this and how it ended. Badly. Very badly. Seems like someone does something stupid every year here, and someone of someone else ends up getting hurt or killed. While this story has nothing with shooting ultra long range calibers, shooting ultra long range cartridges in iowa, I think would just add another means for someone to do something stupid.
That is a very sad storey but I concur, your post has nothing to do with this thread.😂 I would bet money hunting LR or Ultra LR as you put it is probably safer than hunting in close thick cover with any kind of firearm.

When southern part of state Wisconsin switched from shotgun slug to rifle, a few predicted all kinds of dire outcomes but, the cows survived. Nothing bad will happen in Iowa either just a few old Bucks might end up at the taxidermist shop. 358 Winchester gonna be making a comeback!!

If a guy had a Ruger #1 in 375 Rem Ultra Mag, that'd be able to handle those 350grain Sierra's, and she'd easily do the 1/2 mile with enuff fps left in the tank to roll a buck.Thing is during open deer hunting season, big bucks won't stop during daylight hours, out in the open, for a long profile shot .

Last edited:
That is a very sad storey but I concur, your post has nothing to do with this thread.😂 I would bet money hunting LR or Ultra LR as you put it is probably safer than hunting in close thick cover with any kind of firearm.
If all hunters were safe and ethical, I would agree, however, that's not the case. Something stupid that shouldn't ever happen, has happened every year since I started hunting 50 years ago. And just one or two accidents of stupidity are gonna ruin it for all the safe hunters. That's just the way it is.

Cutting Edge has a 250 grain Maximus. They advertise they're good down to 1400fps. I have no experience with the Maximus line but their Lazer line of bullets are deadly and I've killed a few animals with great results.

If all hunters were safe and ethical, I would agree, however, that's not the case. Something stupid that shouldn't ever happen, has happened every year since I started hunting 50 years ago. And just one or two accidents of stupidity are gonna ruin it for all the safe hunters. That's just the way it is.
Wouldn't that be the same if flying a plane, driving a car, riding a motorcycle, any activity that involves a risk. Don't have to be careless, it's a choice.

I've read about guys building .375 Ruger for long range with 350 grain MatchKings and such. From memory I believe they were getting performance (external) similar to a .308 shooting heavy-high BC bullets like the 215 Berger. It's slow but the BC really aids in extended range wind deflection and retained velocity. There are lots of high BC .375 bullets, but only a few that would stabilize in what I'm assuming is a factory barrel with the 1-12" twist I read is standard. The 325 grain Cutting Edge Lazer comes to mind, has a G1 BC well over .7 and will stabilize in a 12" twist. Plus it is advertised as expanding down to 1200 fps. Then there are the lighter Badlands Bulldozer 2, they don't have as high a BC and I believe they advertise expansion down to 1900 fps.

Edit: my point is that there are options, depends on where you want to compromise, as I see you having to do so somewhere to get more performance in what you have.
Exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thank you.