.375 hh

I bought my first .375 H&H in 1988. I is an Interarms Whitworth Express. I've always been amazed at the rifles accuracy and certainly no lack of horsepower. I've been reloading since 1965 when I was in high school. Started out with a .300 Win. Mag. when I was 18 and have always enjoyed the larger capacity cartridges. I purchased another 375 a couple of years ago, a Browning A Bolt. An attractive rifle, stainless, muzzle brake, camo stock. It too is VERY accurate. I've lived in Alaska twice and am moving back for good very soon and having the .375's will definitely be a plus when going after the big bears. Africa is also in the not too distant future and the rifles will certainly be accompanying me there as well. I've enjoyed the 375 H&H caliber and in my mind, it will perform very well in whatever chore you engage it in.

I'm also looking into getting another 375 H&H. Had a ruger No 1 I should have never sold and a Remington 700 for awhile. Anybody have a suggestion for which brand rifle to go with? I'm considering one of the Winchester, the Safari or Alaskan. Maybe one by Montana Rifle Co.

Hopefully I'm adding to your thread JMack
I'd go with the Montana Rifle Co. I have the AVR in 35 Whelen and love it. The AVR is also available in 375 Ruger, 375 H&H, 416 Ruger, 416 Rem. Mag., 458 Win. Mag. and 458 Lott.

I think the 375 and 416 Ruger's are worth a good look at, and they are American designed, Yes I'm an American what can I say, that's the same reason I only have calibers in caliber designation and not MM. May seam weird but that's just me.

If you reload the 458's are good ones, you can load them down to 45-70 equivalent or full house loads for the toughs game out there.

They are all good choses and a lot more versatile then many people thing. What bullet you use makes a big difference in any cartridge or caliber.

There's a bunch of lightly used rifles of all the larger calibers. The bigger the bore the less useful. They get bought because, well, who doesn't like horsepower. Lots of dreamers out there and few who actually go on safari.

The 338 is a more useful caliber esp for north America. To me that's the perfect elk caliber. For brown bear the 375. Everything else the 338.
To say the big bores are less useful is not completely true. With factory ammo it maybe, but if you reload you can find a lot more bullet choses an get a lot of use from them. In my opinion if your going to get a large bore you should reload so you can enjoy it a lot more then just every now and then.

What manufacturer offers it in a factory rifle that doesn't have a wood stock? Doesn't appear to be much. I'd rather not spend 2k+ on it.
The Montana Rifle Co. V2- Extreme Vantage (ss, synthetic version of the AVR- American Vantage) is cambered in the 375 H&H, MSRP $1775.

To say the big bores are less useful is not completely true. With factory ammo it maybe, but if you reload you can find a lot more bullet choses an get a lot of use from them. In my opinion if your going to get a large bore you should reload so you can enjoy it a lot more then just every now and then.
They are of limited use simply because of the ballistics compared to the medium bores particularly.

Sable, They are some beautiful guns. I have never seen or heard of a bolt action double.

The bolt action double rifles by Mr. Fuchs have been around for quite a few years now, probably 20 or so. Early on I spent quite a bit of time with him discussing the engineering of the action and looking at his drawings. He is incredibly bright as you might guess. Here is his website:

http://fuchsfineguns.com/index.php/fine-guns/

I am a fan of the early Mauser designs and those continued by Interarms, especially the big bores.

John Rigby .416 Rigby:
VMR77c.jpg

And fortunately there are still companies making this design for modern cartridges and uses:
104.jpg

Last edited:
They are of limited use simply because of the ballistics compared to the medium bores particularly.

We have all discussed this concept on a few occasions. Many of us can be side tracked by the ballistic advantages of several of the modern medium bore large capacity cartridges, myself included. But as we often discover, a substantial number of the hunting situations occur at distances much nearer than anticipated so using one of the older, classic cartridges can be a terrific idea.

Two points already made but repeated:

Out to about 400 yards, either the .300 or the .375 H&H can be employed to hunt anything up to moose given proper bullet/powder selection.

Both the .300 and the .375 H&H yield a push rather rather than the sharper jab of the newer high power cartridges. Shooting both types back-to-back is an 'ah-ha' experience, because of the difference.

The last thought is regarding shorter than average barrels. The .375 H&H can and has been barreled to as short as 20", while still yielding enough velocity for a good level of energy. I have developed both the rifle and the loads around the 260 grain Partition over either IMR-3031 or VVN-540 to maintain efficient burning without wasting powder in this short barrel.

We use both in our family....my wife uses the .338 WM exclusively, and I have both an H&H and a AI (which I use exclusively).

If longer ranges is on the menu...the .338 WM has a definite edge on the H&H. Due to higher velocities and higher BC bullets, the .338 WM, offers a flatter trajectory, less wind drift, and slightly higher energy at the longer ranges! With my AI, the gap is "closed" considerably....but at extreme ranges (greater than 700 yards), the .338 WM once again surpasses the .375.

If dangerous game at moderate ranges is on the docket....the H&H would be a logical choice! memtb

.....as we often discover, a substantial number of the hunting situations occur at distances much nearer than anticipated so using one of the older, classic cartridges can be a terrific idea.
........Out to about 400 yards, either the .300 or the .375 H&H can be employed to hunt anything up to moose given proper bullet/powder selection.
.......The .375 H&H can and has been barreled to as short as 20", while still yielding enough velocity for a good level of energy........../QUOTE]

Mines 20", chronograph has never shown a disadvantage. The factory 300 Silver tip is advertised at a shade over 2500 fps, which is what I've always got when testing those.

In the tight cover places shorter "death runs" are shorter, and blood trails much better, making recovery easier.

My first moose hunt; Guide I don't recommend the .375's for moose. The .308's and .270's work fine, after we shoot one, we'll take a break, brew some tea, and then follow them up. They hardly ever go more than a couple hundred yards. Me; Have you seen them shot with a .375? How far do they go? Guide; GO! Hell they don't go anywhere, they die where they're standing! Then proceeds to tell stories of in the tracks kills with the .375. We didn't get a moose that trip.

The .375 H H is a great rifle. No doubt. I ve shot plains game and buffalo with it. But for longer ranges I use a .375 Snipetac or AM although they are heavy. If you looking at longer ranges then rather look at a .378 WBY with a good muzzle brake? For Africa, nothing beats TSX but may equal. They are not as accurate though as SMK and I m told CEB.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.