375/408 Banded Solids Test

Next week I am going to try to do some expansion tests on the 6cal 338's poly tipped that weigh 247w/o lead core and 256gr w / lead core.

Jeff,

There has been no further testing on the 6.5, and 7.0, in lieu of the completion of six rifles with the appropriate twist geometry. The next series of range reports will also benefit from supplemental modeling, and testing by Bryan Litz. Given past evaluations he has performed, I would expect a fairly thorough assessment to be posted at one, or more, sites.

If all goes as planned, we will have some doppler data this summer, for ultimate incorporation into a marketable ballistics program.

Best,
Noel

The next series of range reports will also benefit from supplemental modeling, and testing by Bryan Litz. Given past evaluations he has performed, I would expect a fairly thorough assessment to be posted at one, or more, sites.

I'm glad to see you guys are willing to work together and trust one another. There was another bullet MFG who posted here and chose to "look a gift horse in the mouth". That was a shame. It's rare to see this kind of cooperation between a couple guys like Noel and Bryan. You guys are what make this industry/sport/site GREAT!

jmason,

Thanks for the compliment(s). I sense, however, that there is little risk involved in trusting Bryan.

Best,
Noel

Noel

Good to hear. Its frustrating, but nice to to know that I'm not the only one sitting on my hands waitning for a barrell to be delivered.

JeffVN

I just talked with someone suposedly "in the know" who gave me info on some of the current barrell delays. My brother and I use Alan and Dan Warner as our "go to" target rifle riflesmiths. Their rifles all shoot amazing, Warner uses Bartlein barrels exclusively, unless the shooter demands they use something else, and they usually they have 30 or 40 in stock at any given time.

I was talking with Alan this morning about a number of things, and brought up my 338 gain twist barrel delays. Alan asked if I was aware that Frank and the guys had run into a supply problem that resulted in them returning around 180 barrels to the manufacturer - after they had been drilled and prepped for rifiling. My answer was - of course - no, but it does explain why there would be such a hude delay in getting barrels.

Believe it or not, its up to you. It rings pretty true to me, and does explain why some of these projects are taking a lot longer to finish than we expected.

JeffVN

Upon striking a median these bullets have a very predictable habit of the first 1/2 inch of the long thin nose folding to one side. It dont seem to take a lot of impact for the nose to bend ninety degrees to the body. When I fired it into the clay the nose completely folded back and the body also bent causing the recovered projectile to look like a doughnut with a little tiny whole in the center. Right now I cant tell you how fast this will happen when striking a game animal; however it dont seem to take much to get at least the first 1/2 inch of the nose to go ninety degrees. These bullets are copper and after they have been perfected there may be a oxygen free copper version that will deform more quickly. Just as it is I think on Mule deer and Elk this thing would be devastating. The hunting applications of this projectile is still a big question mark. We will see. I dont know if it would be legal in some states.

Noel and Augustus, I was looking at some old posts here.....Do you guys have any updates since this last post on the Banded Bullets.....for 375 or 338 allen mags????

Noel, thanks for the report here, I ran some ballistics on the 431 gr bullet and wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelly,

The 431 grain version was a very early ZA375 design that had stability problems when fired at a MV greater than 2,600 fps. This was remedied to some extent by tail revision, which added an additional 150 fps from the same 8" twist.

A 1: 6.5" twist stabilizes the 421 grain, 7.0 caliber, to it's maximum velocity of 2,950 fps from a CheyTac case. The 400 grain 6.5 caliber ZA can be driven to 3,100-3,200 fps from the CheyTac. We have not tried am AM loading.

Both are capable of sub-half minute groups out to 1,500 yards, but we are looking for better data collection at the upcoming Las Vegas test.

Best,
Noel

Kelly,

The 431 grain version was a very early ZA375 design that had stability problems when fired at a MV greater than 2,600 fps. This was remedied to some extent by tail revision, which added an additional 150 fps from the same 8" twist.

A 1: 6.5" twist stabilizes the 421 grain, 7.0 caliber, to it's maximum velocity of 2,950 fps from a CheyTac case. The 400 grain 6.5 caliber ZA can be driven to 3,100-3,200 fps from the CheyTac. We have not tried am AM loading.

Both are capable of sub-half minute groups out to 1,500 yards, but we are looking for better data collection at the upcoming Las Vegas test.

Best,
Noel

Noel, thanks for the info here....I love the performance of the 338 Allen Mag......But like others, I am always looking for more performance...This Chey-Tac 6.5 ZA is totally new to me....It sounds like a 400 gr bullet for the 6.5??? Can you explaine this a bit more????? Also, we'd all love to hear more about the results of this shoot in NV....Please keep us in the loop

kelly

Kelly,
That bullet is a 400gn 375cal dia, 6.5 calibers long. (Aprox 2 7/16" long) If im wrong
Noel will correct me.

Dave

Dave, thanks for the speedy info.....Noel,,,Please do update us on this 400 grainer...I am going to build a 408-375 improved and hope to get away from the 350 gn SMK and perhaps this 400 grainer will be the pill. Any update on this bullet would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Anyone know the BC on this baby?

thanks in advance,
kelly

Kelly,

The ZA375/6.5-M (for "match" solid) is the midlength version of it's series. It is not magazine compatible, but is very stable from a 1: 6.5" twist. There is another "W" (tungsten core) series that has greater gyroscopic stability, and a higher BC in most cases. You will have to wait for the Las Vegas results to get a BC... I hope you can understand why. :)

I will do my best to get as many ZA projectiles into the testing as possible.

Best,
Noel

Kelly,

The ZA375/6.5-M (for "match" solid) is the midlength version of it's series. It is not magazine compatible, but is very stable from a 1: 6.5" twist. There is another "W" (tungsten core) series that has greater gyroscopic stability, and a higher BC in most cases. You will have to wait for the Las Vegas results to get a BC... I hope you can understand why. :)

I will do my best to get as many ZA projectiles into the testing as possible.

Best,
Noel

Thanks Noel,,,do you know if they will be testing the "W" series at the NV shoot? If its longer and better stabilized, this could be a great bullet for the 375. Most of the 408-375's I see out there are in the 1:10 -12 twist range. Will the "W" series require a 1:6.5 also? If so, why such a tight twist. I'm lucky, I have not ordered my barrel yet, so Im patiently waiting for these NV results so I don't have to reb-barrel when the next great widget comes out.

thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.