Are banded solids rubbish?

Topshot

Do these things have any place in the hunting field?
Sure the monolithic copper and brass projectiles look good. Long and pointy, with outrageously high claimed B.C's. but are they just a fad?

Now Im not talking about the Barnes and Cutting Edge type bullets that are designed for hunting with in built features that promote expansion.

Im talking about the extreme type bullet in the larger calibres that are simply long pointy solids with driving bands.

My only experience with them has been with .338 solid brass projectiles. These did not live up the anywhere near the claimed B.C. I did try them on game but nothing bigger than 50kg so no a real test.

Has anyone actually had any success with the .338 and .375 extreme design mono's? Are they suitable for long range hunting or should we be sticking with traditional lead core, high B.C. bullets?

I don't have your answer.

But, extreme bullets are usually best for target and R&D.

The bigger challenge for ELRH is with ranging, reading the wind, dialing, and making the cold bore shot. There are plenty of bullets whose quality, BC, and terminal performance are sufficient if one can deal with real world hunting situations.

A better BC always helps. But, with 1, 2, or more second flight times, whose to say the animal doesn't take 3 steps.

The best characteristics from the extreme prototypes will hopefully make it into the mainstream someday.

-- richard

Last edited:
I understand Topshot's question. The reason high bc bullets with excellent terminal results exist is because someone tried something new.

One of the advantages of this site is that we can share our trials, errors, and successes to move the sport forward at a rapid rate.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts