36 grain varmint grenade

rdsii64

I am thinking of giving the 36 grain varmint grenades a try as a medium range vermin round. What kind of performance can I expect on prairie dog size and smaller animals at no further than 300 yards

If I added it up I've probably gone thorugh a pound of powder total trying to find a load that will "shoot" the 36g VG into groups comprable to what I get with Nosler and Hornady bullets and I've not succeeded. I went through a box of them and gave it up.

Neither my .22-250 (Savage LRPV) or my .223 (CZ527) would shoot them into less than 1" groups, both rifles routinely shoot Nosler BT and Hornady V-MAX bullets into 3/8" to 1/2" groups. The .22-250 is 9" twist but they didn't shoot any better in my Brother In Law's 12" twist .22-250 either so it isn't the twist rate.

If you find a load that works please post it.

Fitch

I get .7in 5shot groups with them in 20in 1:9tw AR. My worst groups of any combo I've shot in this rifle! :D

They are delicate. You can squish them in your hands.

I may try some different COL and Benchmark instead of the AA2230 I use.

1:14 tw is common for .22-250 and can shoot the 35-60gr bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.