Varmint Grenade style loads for .22-250?

ChuckBlaster

My .22-250 is a Rem 700 with a 1/14" twist. It shoots 50 grain NBT's at 3700 the best. At first this was my only centerfire, but now I have a 6mm for the longer stuff and I was thinking about trying out some light weight 36-40 grain bullets in the 4000fps range for shots under 400yds. What are some of your fav bullets and loads for your .22-250s for really tearing things up at these closer ranges?

The Varmint Grenades will certainly fragment. I like the v-maxes for spray effect myself. The new 53 grain should be a really good bullet but the 50 and 55's are good too. If you are shooting G'hogs, the VG may not even exit.

My 250 likes the 55gr stuff, I have never loaded the 53gr but was told to try it next time I load. The 40gr stuff gets to tumbling sometimes for me so I stay away from loading them. I am probably just pushing them too hard.

I'm a month late to the party here, however, I have a Rem 700 in 22-250. Mine really likes the V-Max 55 grains pushed by 38 grains of H380. It pushes it out around 3800 fps. I'm not sure that you'll do better by going faster. You will go farther, by you'll likely lose accuracy. If you find your accuracy at over 4000 fps is as good or better, let us know.

I have a 700 VLS in 22-250 and it's favorite load involves Varget, 55 grain Ballistic Tip, and whatever primer I put in it to start the whole show off. I bought a box of 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips to try out in it once. Accuracy was okay but I never really played with the load because it shot between 1-1.25 MOA and i just wanted to shoot bunnies with them. The 40 grain Ballistic Tip wasn't near as destructive on Jacks as i was hoping but oh my heavens it sent squirrels and pdogs to their maker in a very fine pink mist.

However as I stated earlier 34.5-35.5 grains of Varget and a 55 Nosler BT make for a deadly combination and it has shot well in all 3 rifles I have tried it in.

I have not been able to find a Varmint Grenade load that shoots well in my .22-250 (Savage LRPV set back 1-1/2" and rechambered). It does, however shoot the 55g Nosler Ballistic Tip seated 0.020" off the lands into tiny little groups pushed by 33.0g of IMR3031 in Win brass lit by a Winchester Large rifle Primer.

Fitch

The Varmint Grenades did not hold up in my .204 @ 3900+. I also could not get consistent groups under 1" at 100. I had the same problem with the MatchKing bullets. I am sticking to the V-Max. They stick together and I get sub 1/4 " groups and like the red mist.

check out some of my videos o you tube @: let me know what you think.

STEVEASKE

In my savage 22-250 the most accurate load I have is a 36 grain varmint grenade and 38 grains of varget.

What is your MV with that load? I have choreographed the .204 at 4100+ or -. my last 3 shot group .232 not bad considering I'm on my 3rd brick of primers..........I think I could have squeaked out another hundredth or so.

204100YDS.jpg

Last edited:
I have never ran that load through my chronograph. I could go faster but accuracy fell off. I could never get anything to shoot better than 1 minute with that gun. It is a rough bore and fowls badly. Last summer I was going on a prairie dog shoot and picked up both the 50 and 36 grain varmint grenade. The 50s shot terrible but the 36 was far better, groups dropped to around 1/2 minute. I never thought I would see that gun shoot groups like that. I had tried every bullet & powder combination I cared to mess with. I just fell into the load trying to get bulk ammo for shooting prairie dogs.

I put a muzzle brake on my 22 250 several years ago and I love it. You can take a 300 yard shot on a prarie dog and never lose him in the scope.... see him explode on impact.

I have never ran that load through my chronograph. I could go faster but accuracy fell off. I could never get anything to shoot better than 1 minute with that gun. It is a rough bore and fowls badly. Last summer I was going on a prairie dog shoot and picked up both the 50 and 36 grain varmint grenade. The 50s shot terrible but the 36 was far better, groups dropped to around 1/2 minute. I never thought I would see that gun shoot groups like that. I had tried every bullet & powder combination I cared to mess with. I just fell into the load trying to get bulk ammo for shooting prairie dogs.

could be with more rounds down the tube and cleaning with JP cleaner you will be "lapping" and smooth the barrel.....improving accuracy. There are many articles on barrel lapping.

I put a muzzle brake on my 22 250 several years ago and I love it. You can take a 300 yard shot on a prarie dog and never lose him in the scope.... see him explode on impact.

I kinda did the same thing only I leaded the Choat stock. This is definitely a bench gun at 20 lbs, but I see every bullet strike. Makes doe decent video too. go to You Tube, STEVEASKE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.

I have shot 1000 - 1200 rounds down that barrel and the copper fouling is still much worse than I have ever seen in any of my other barrels. It was my first rifle as a kid (gift from my parents) and never was cleaned for the first 200 rounds. Some day I will screw a new barrel on it just haven't decided what.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.