Barnes New Varmint Grenade Test

SamSpade

I tested the new 22 caliber 36 grain bullet from Barnes called the Varmint Grenade yesterday. I thought this would be a natural for my 222AI since I have been using 40 grain bullets. This rifle will shoot 3/8" groups all day long no matter which brand of 40 grainers you feed it. Results are on the target below. I used the same loading data for my 40gr loads. I did NOT do any further load development because I did not see any potential here. The sighter was shot with my regular 40 gr load to be sure everything was okay with the equipment.

BARNES VARMINT GRENADE

If anybody would like to test them I have 90 left so I will send you some for FREE!
TargGrenade1.jpg

TargGrenade2.jpg

Hmmm, did they replace the VLC bullets with these??? Just asking because my .222 loves the regular 40g VLC at 3700fps over 22.5g IMR-4198. It hasn't ever shot them over 3/8" at 100 yards. I dont see them listed anymore.

I also tested some of the varmint grenades today and here is what the did in my gun. http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/killahog/barnesvarmintgrenades002.jpg[/img]]web page The top target and the middle target was the barnes bullets, there is 4 shots in the top target. The bottom three groups are from a 40 grain Hornady vmax bullet. It was sort of windy today that accounted for some of the left to right dispersion I am sure. Bye the way those squares are 1/2 and the orange dots are 1"

Do you still have the Varmint Grenades?My buddy had 7 of them and they shot excellent in his.I cant find any .

[ QUOTE ]
Do you still have the Varmint Grenades?My buddy had 7 of them and they shot excellent in his.I cant find any .

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry I don't have anymore, two members wanted to try them so I send them the last that I had.

I thought the same until my gunsmith told me to start by loading the 36 grain .22 Varmint Grenades to touch the lands. Ultimately got them to shoot best at .005 in my Sako 14 twist 22-250. I went from 3+ inch groups at .050 off the lands to about 1/2 inch groups by spending an afternoon working with seating depths close to, or into, the lands. Took less effort than finding the sweet spot for VLDs.

Great bullet up to 150 yards on large pdogs. they have the BC of a granite boulder.

I hated them.

HM

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.