35 whelen improved fireforming.

Thanks for time and effort Lefty. I must have several hundred 30/06 casings. First thing Monday I will be ordering a set of headspace gauges to see what I am working with. I see Manson offers the improved ones. I have read several places about the 35 Whelen improved not gaining to much over the standard version. Not really concerned about a performance gain with the improved but I have read that the improved version is much easier on the brass ? Any thoughts on this before I order the gauges? Really considering rechambering to standard if this needs addressed. Thanks again
When cutting a new chamber the exact same gauges are used for 30-06 as the 35 Whelan. The only difference is bettween the 35 Whelan and the Whelan AI variant that has the shoulder pushed further forward which requres different garges. There is little to no difference between factory and fireformed cases.

When cutting a new chamber the exact same gauges are used for 30-06 as the 35 Whelan. The only difference is bettween the 35 Whelan and the Whelan AI variant that has the shoulder pushed further forward which requres different garges. There is little to no difference between factory and fireformed cases.

Actually; the start of the shoulder in the Ackley Improved is in the exact same place . Or distance from the base of the case. Due to the steeper shoulder angle of the AI the neck is longer.
With cats like the Gibbs, the shoulder is mover forward.
They require different gauges.

Actually; the start of the shoulder in the Ackley Improved is in the exact same place . Or distance from the base of the case. Due to the steeper shoulder angle of the AI the neck is longer.

No, that's not correct. The steeper shoulder angle makes the body longer. The specs for the neck length will remain the same except for the .004". The actual neck length will get shorter because the brass to make the body longer has to come from somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.