NEED HELP WITH A 35 WHELEN IMPROVED

KzDurango

Hi guys was curious if anyone here has used CFE 223 IN A 35 WHELEN IMPROVED ?

The problem im having is my groups are not where i think they should be.
my barrel is a 26 inch 1-12 twist chambered in 35 whlen improved.
my projectiles i have available are 200 grain accubonds. i have varget and cfe 223 for powders available.
ive done a ladder test from 68 to 70 grains in .2 grain increments and the barrel will put a 3 shot group together at 2 inchs at 200 yards with 69 grains of cfe223.
however even with seating depth test it will not tighten down any more then that 2 inch group. do you think i should see what 66 to 68 grain powder charge looks like ?? or change powders ?? what would be my better option for tighter 3 shot groups ?

I have a 350 rem mag which is real similar. I could not get the accubonds to shoot. Too long for the twist rate. The barnes 200 tsx shoots really good. I would look at nosler and barnes data for powder options.
what powder did you end up using ?

I've used reloader 17 with good results but ram shot tac was 100 fps faster.

do you happen to remember what kind of velocity you was getting with tac ?
with cfe 223 im at 3167 fps in a 26 inch barrel with 1-12 twist

Barnes data says 2943 out of a 20". I'm at 2700 in an 18" at the starting load. I'm shooting a rem 600 with synthetic stock that weighs 6.5 pounds. It's a handful. I'm sure it would do more but for less than 200 yds where I'm at it's fine.

Your not going to find any wheelen data with tac but a google search will turn up some data from John Barsness.

Powder charge test done at 5 thousands from lands and 200 yards
IMG_7751.png

When I do a seating test it's usually larger spreads. I start at 20 off and do 40,60,80,100. When I find what shoots best I may make smaller adjustments. You would be surprised how many good loads I've found way off the lands.

Seating is done at all the same POWDER CHARGE. Changing powder charge is your mistake, you're just adding unnecessary variables.
I do all of my seating testing with ONE powder charge with .010" variance from touching (0.00") out to .050". Then, and only then, do I mess with powder. I also use a middle load from a manual so that powder isn't influencing the outcome…

Cheers.