35 whelen new

Elkriver

I'm new to the the 35 whelen going on a moose hunt in oct and trying to figure out what to work for a load guide said max shot is 200 yds so I was thinking
Hornaday fxt 200gr b.c is 300 then I found nozlers acubond 225 with BC of .430
If if I can get them both say 2500 fps. Thiers about 700flb difference at 100yds and almost 1000 flbs at 200 dose it mater at that point... 1700flbs at say 200 yds should kill a moose right with proper shoot plase ment

I'd say get both and try them. BC at 200 yards shouldn't matter. I took my moose at 217 yards with a .30-06 and 200gr Accubond. Found the projectile under the hide on the opposite shoulder, clean hole through the heart. Hit her hard enough to roll her over once, then she went about another 50 yards at the most before dumping. Bullet retained about 80% of its weight.

She dressed at 666lbs, devil cow, but tasted great! If I get another draw, I think I'll be going with Accubonds again.

SHM

How fast was yer bullet going .. I was going of of BC. High BC harder it hits according to back of Speer vol 14 ... Whered u shoot yer moose "zone " ...

35 Whelen will knock over a moose at greater than 200 yards. I shoot a 358 winchester which is the little brother, and I would have no trouble at all reaching out to 300 yards. My best buddy shoots a 35 Whelen and he has killed literally TONs of game with it at and beyond 200 yards and never lost an animal or needed more than one shot. Load up some 225 Nosler Partitions or Accubonds and have at it!

I never chrono'd that load. I was using a Walmart special Mossberg ATR. It was a gift from my father years ago before I really started my collection, and it was his hunt, I was the sub permittee holder. We shot ours in Northern Maine. It was cow only, and it was in 2007, in between two deployments for me. It was a special hunt for us both.

I think I have a few of those rounds left, I'll pull them and let you know how much H4831 is in there if you'd like. I will say, if they sit for years, the polymer tips become brittle. Now that was back when Accubonds were newer, so I'm sure it isn't still an issue, but I found them, I noticed half the tips were broken. Stored in factory 20round cardboard box, in dry, controlled storage.

RL 15 is your huckleberry for the Whelen with best speed and good accuracy. 200gr at 2800,225gr at 2700 or 250gr at 2600 will lay out any big game I N/A. Varget and IMR8208XBR do really well too.

55 grs of 4064 using 225 Accubond is going a little of 2600 and shot 3/4 in group at 200 meters..020 off the lands out of a Remington 700

The Hornady 200 gr FTX is meant for the 35 Remington. I have shot them out of my 350 rem mag and they blow up when they hit wet phone books. They were not designed for the velocities that the Whelen will push them at.

If you want a good bullet for the Whelen then I would suggest the accubond, swift A frame, barnes, partition, speer, Sierra game king 225gr, or the Hornady spire point.

Barnes is making a tipped tsx 200gr bullet that should work well. I haven't tried it yet in the 350 rem mag.

Nice thanks for help no need to pull rds .. I'm shooting out of. H&r single shot I'm about 1inch right now at 100 I only have 1.75 by 4 scope on it ...

I'm actually working on loads for my tikka and had bought some 200gr ftx rounds and 250sp. After hearing that the 200grs just explode I might just scrap them And stick with the 350s.

Sir, I shoot a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved and my son uses a standard 35 Whelen. I load for both of them.
Blacktail 63 is correct about Reloader 15 powder. I get the highest velocity and the best accuracy with 225 to 250 grain bullets using Reloader 15 powder.
You should be able to get 2500 FPS with a 250 grain bullet depending on barrel length. I have loaded 250 grain Partitions to 2670 FPS using Reloader 15 in the Ackley Improved version and they are MOA. I tried Reloader 17 with the 250's but the accuracy suffered. I have also used IMR 4320 and it gave good accuracy and velocity with 200 grain bullets.
My favorite load for the Ackley Improved is the 225 Barnes with Reloader 15 at 2825 FPS and it makes a ragged hole 3 shot group at 100 yards. My Ackley Improved Whelen is an bolt action Springfield O3A3 with a 24 inch barrel. This one is old school and is a heavy gun with a dense walnut stock. It is pleasure to shoot with any load because it is so accurate.

If you are shooting the standard Whelen with the 225 Barnes TSX you should be able 2650-2700 FPS with Reloader 15. Barnes Bullets Load data from their website claims you can get 2700 FPS with IMR 4064 with this bullet.
Nosler makes the 225 in an Accubond which has high BC(.430 I think) like the Barnes and should hold its velocity well. The 250 grain Bullets like the Nosler Partition have a higher BC (446) and although they start slower at about 300 yards they will carry more energy .
Check out the website 35cal.com as there is a lot of information there on the Whelen.

RL 15 is your huckleberry for the Whelen with best speed and good accuracy. 200gr at 2800,225gr at 2700 or 250gr at 2600 will lay out any big game I N/A. Varget and IMR8208XBR do really well too.

+1

Using rl15 with a 220 speer here in my m77 hawkeye whelen. Very good shooter.
The rifle killed a mule deer at about 300yards when my brother owned it.

I have never found an accurate load for my BLR in 358 and the 220 Speer. I guess I should have tried it in the Whelen. How many grains of RL-15 did you use with the Speer 220 gr.in the Whelen ..??

I have never found an accurate load for my BLR in 358 and the 220 Speer. I guess I should have tried it in the Whelen. How many grains of RL-15 did you use with the Speer 220 gr.in the Whelen ..??

60 rl15, 220 speer, wlr.... '06 rem reformed brass.... work up to this as it is full house in my rifle... about 2700 fps in my hawkeye...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts