338am Hired gun shawn any one

new shooter

Lets hear about your 338am how are they shooting and what range and what groups what powder? I won't get mine untill October.I leave for the summer to work in mid- west.I get back in time to hunt all season.I would like to hear from any one with a 338am. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have been getting 1.00"-1.50" groups at 400 yards with the ones I have built so far. All of mine have been the light weight version (under 16 lbs). I haven't shot groups at long range yet, I hope to do some 2K shooting soon. I have been running H50BMG and 300 SMK's so far. I have high hopes for the new Wildcat bullet in this loading as well based on the prototype performance.

The 338AM I have been playing with is not mine. So far really I have just got to watch. It is shooting H50BMG and 300 SMK's. It hasn't been on paper yet. It was being zeroed at 500 yards on a very small gong until it blew the gong off the chains that were holding it. At 500 yards it will just about go all the way through a piece of 3/4 mild steel plate. It will crack a hole in the back of the divot that lets light through. The guy that owns it works out of town a lot and the weather hasn't been good until this week. We are waiting on Exbal to get here so we can shoot it at different yardages and cut keep the round count low so as to not wear it out walking them in. It is running a bit over 3300 fps. This one is around 32 pounds and is almost completely recoilless. Easy to watch the hits in the 32 power NF. I'm out of town for the next 2 weeks so maybe he will give us a good range report when he gets a few more shots down the barrel. Right now it's mostly a big cereal blaster.

Here are a few results of barrel break in and bullet testing on the 338 Snipe-Tac. I was testing the Boron coated 300MK bullets, the pressure was lower and speed dropped 50fps on average. The barrel cleaned very easy and almost no copper fouling. I tested a 30" and 33" barrel, there was about 60fps differance between the two rifles.

I put up a rather large steel plate, about 150#, at 500yds.
There was several guys along with me, one to break the barrel in on his 308win, and others just watching. The steel is supose to be AR plate, we fire several sighters at it with the 308win, ding, ding, ding. Made real nice silver marks so you could see it in the scope. I put the crosshairs of my Snipe-Tac, across the top as it is sighted in dead on at 100yds. Boom, no noise, i looked through the scope and could see a small mark upper center of the plate. I figured it would make a loud noise, but i could see the dent. I fired another, same thing. I let the other guys take shots as well, they all used different sight pictures, and they were shaking tring to pull the trigger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif, it was funny watching them. After the watching, we figured the bullets were exploding on contact, um NO...i saw the hill behind the target, dust kicking up, at about 1000yds. We drove out to the target...here is what we found.
[image][/image]

The splashes are from the 308win.

Those holes were about 3/4" in dia, looks like a plasma torch cut them. The 308 didnt mark the steel. These are the two shots i fired, measured 2.5" It was very windy and drift was very minimal.

Back side of plate.

I tested several loads, H-BMG50 and WC872, both worked very well, speeds 3200-3325

One young man got a chance to fire my rifle, he is leaving for Iraq in several weeks, he took his target with him to show his friends, the biggest rifle he has ever shot was the 223. It was a very good day, all had fun. 500yds is just to close for the large 338-408 wildcats.

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
just reading about this round can put a little hair on a fellows chest!

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO............ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Lerch and I will let you know soon. I'll have a case tapped for my SP tool so I can set my seating depth properly. We've got to have a few loaded so we can drap her out after the match on Sat!!!

Bill,

I am running 4.148" OAL with the 300 SMK. Let me know where you end up. Also I had to tune up the bottom of my die to set the shoulder back .003", it seemed with mine anyway that after 4 or 5 firings that the cases were hard to close and harder to open with the same loads. On the 2nd and 3rd firings no such problems exsisted. The interesting part is that I had to shave off .011" to do this. Now life is good. Mine shoots so good it is scary. I anchored a rockchuck with it a few days ago at 1073 yards on the second shot. I'll post about it in a day or two.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.