338 WM and 30-06

So what ranges are you reaching out to?

I know of a Savage 30-06 available, no scope, and thinking about it, this guy also needs to sell, thanks to 0.

If, I get it I'd like to see what it can do between 600 and 1,000 yards. Or more honest what I can do with it at those ranges.

Affordable scopes?

So what ranges are you reaching out to?

I know of a Savage 30-06 available, no scope, and thinking about it, this guy also needs to sell, thanks to 0.

If, I get it I'd like to see what it can do between 600 and 1,000 yards. Or more honest what I can do with it at those ranges.

Affordable scopes?

600-1000 yds is not a problem for a 30-06. If you can shoot under an inch at 100yds, that's a good start for something you can have fun with.

Many factory built Savages easily shoot that well. But, there can be a big difference between models and individual rifles from any manufacturer.

Once you get past 400-500 yds, you're likely going to need handloads to achieve consistent results. But, that shouldn't slow you down from giving it a try just for fun.

There are a lot of options for decent scopes that would be suitable for someone starting out. The Nikon 6-18x42 is one that I like for the money. But, there's a whole discussion group in this forum with recommendations.

The requirements for hunting and competition at long range are more stringent. But, you have to start somewhere.

Caution: It's addictive.

Have fun and be safe!
Richard

The more I think about it the more likely it will be the 30-06 over the .308, and am looking at the Bushnell Elite for a scope.

I had been thinking of a 700, varmint, with SS barrel and then upgrading from there, much to think about and a LOT of good info on this site. Right now nothing is written in stone other then it has to be a solid hunting rifle that is fun to target shoot. That leaves a pretty wide field of possibilities.

If you really want the '06 to be "fun" to shoot, then budget for a good brake.

There are lots of discussions here about pros/cons, designs, and mfgs.

I like the Holland QD, but the Muscle Brake and others get great reviews as well.

-- richard

Thats a good point about the brake, fun is shooting a lot more then one without it.

I want to do some serious damage to the jug population. :D

I had only 1 30-06 remington 742 woodsmaster. I never really liked it. It was given to me by my uncle which i appreciate but i dont like semi-auto's that much to start, prefer a good bolt action. The 30-06 is an awesome cartridge, but i wanted something a little different. Wanted a little flatter shooting, and a little harder hitting. I ended up switching over to a 300. wsm which i absolutely love! i also own a 7mm rem mag and love that too. I kind of miss the 30-06 for strickly hunting purpose. Great caliber, cheap and no recoil what so ever!

Other then a couple of .22s all of my rifles have been bolt actions, by far my preference. I havent fired a .338 , yet, but intend to, several different ones.And do want to try a 7mm.

Thanks for all the input, I am going to stay with what I know, and be looking for a Savage in 30-06, hunting and LR target for fun. I had been considering a 700 in .308, but, dont want to have any Elk walking away . So I will stay with the 06 and be looking at what Savage has in a combo rifle. And see what I can do with it.

An update,

I now have a Savage 30-06, used, almost new, synthetic stock, 24" barrel, so this winter getting their accustock and accutrex trigger, in the string changing the barrel to their SS 26" and that will be the bulk of things for forseeable time to come, to be a fun shooter and general hunter,deer and elk. I also will be adding a brake. Am going to be looking at a lot of scopes. Playing with different loads while getting up to speed on reloading. And saving a LOT of water jugs over the winter.

I appreciate all the excellent input here, thanks.

I think one of the unfortunate happenings surrounding LRH is that guys are told they have to have these specialized guns/cartridges in order to participate. Don't get me wrong those are great fun and completely worth it but aren't necessary especially for those just getting started or wanting to give LRH a tryout.

The reality is that most LRH, probably 90%+, aren't going to shoot past 800 yards and there are a lot of guns including the 338 Winny and the 30'06 that are completely capable if the proper practice is put in.

I have a stock Howa 30'06 that has only had some very minor stock work done and a bi-pod added that can shoot under 1 inch groups at 300 yards when I do my part. There isn't an animal within 1/2 mile that is safe with that gun! :)

Yep awesome acuracy, With a 175 berger hunting VLD I'm getting 5/8" 100 yard groups. And it drops any animal so unfortunate to to find its self in my scope.

I was just running numbers on some of bergers 30 cal bullets in the 175-190 gr range. That 175 seems to be a good blend of BC and velocity for the '06. Glad to hear you are getting that kind of accuracy.

An update,

I now have a Savage 30-06, used, almost new, synthetic stock, 24" barrel, so this winter getting their accustock and accutrex trigger, in the string changing the barrel to their SS 26" and that will be the bulk of things for forseeable time to come, to be a fun shooter and general hunter,deer and elk. I also will be adding a brake. Am going to be looking at a lot of scopes. Playing with different loads while getting up to speed on reloading. And saving a LOT of water jugs over the winter.

I appreciate all the excellent input here, thanks.

I would look into an aftermarket barrel when you rebarrel. Sin arms sell the Lothar Walther barrels at a really good price. That would be a good place to start. I currently use the Lothar and they are some good quality in my opinion. Also you may want to look into another manufactuerer for and aftermarket stock. I love my Savage, but not sure I would ever really want the accu-stock. I've heard too many problems trying to fine tune them to optimize accuracy. I would look into an H-S, Choate Tactical, or Stockade stocks. B&C would be a good one if you want a traditional style stock. There are some other stock makers out there, but they are a heck of a lot more expensive.

Tank

I also have a Win 70 in 30-06 and only shot them both together once and dont see a lot of difference, yet. I think its going tro be awhile before I rebarrel.

Thanks, great site !

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.