Opinions --300 WM vs. 338 LM

match

Looking for feedback on 300 Win Mag vs. .338 Lapua. I'm looking for an Armalite AR-30 in 338 LM, but have not been able to find one at a good price. As such I have been considering one in 300 WM instead. I've looked at the ballistic charts for both loads, and am impressed by the 338 (not to mention that I would be the first kid on the block with one) but really how much difference would there be in accuracy potential at say 1500 yards ? I will roll my own with either cartridge, but one benefit of the 300WM is that if needed, I could find ammo nearly anywhere. And the fact that there are currently 300 WM AR-30's available. BTW, not intending on hunting with the gun (except maybe hogs and the occasional praire dog) but puching paper and ringing metal. Thanks for any input.

The 300 will enable you to shoot much more for the same money. Brass for the 338 lm is 1.76 per case, factory stuff is 65.00 per 20. Shooting the LM will break the bank, but if there's killin to be done at 1500y, it's my choice. Probibly the best readily available extra long range round out there. The 338 LM was designed to bridge the gap between the 300wm and the 50bmg, it does so very well.

$1.20 at Bruno's. If you don't ramrod the lapua 50 pieces is all you need. If wanting to shoot some hogs at 1500 the Lapua is the way to go. Alot more umph slingin a 300gr bullet at a modest 2750-2800 will have more umph than the 300 winmag.

Would a single shot work for ya?

Well, I'm pretty well set on the AR-30 (I'm as much of a collector as a shooter, and I like the gun). I'll probably wait and try to find one in .338 LM. Since I was wanting the 338 to begin with, I'm afraid that if I buy the 300 WM, I might later regret buying it instead of the 338. Even though the 338 costs more to reload, it'll still be cheap in comparison to my trapshooting addiction !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Make sure you get the 338 LM. You will be very happy that you got it when it comes time to killin something at 1500 yards. I am having a 338 Lupa Magnum Improved built right now, and I should receive my cannon soon. It will consist of following; BAT 10" action, Lilja 36" barrel 1.750 at the muzzle/with bake, McMillian 50 HBR/weight will be added to the rear of stock, 2oz Jewell trigger, custom base with 40 MOA added, Kelby rings with 25 MOA added to the rings, topped with Nightforce 12x42x56mm NXS. It will weight around 65 to 70lbs. It will shoot a 300grn Sierra MK at around 3000 fps to 3100 fps. This will be my ultra long range rifle. I can not wait to get it, I will post info when I get it. I need to learn how to post pics. Have fun shooting your 338 LM, you will be one of the few who own this awesome round.

I have the AR30 300 win mag,the only problem I have had is the mag design.I dropped the mag and it flew into 3 pieces and a new one cost 65 bucks.The rifle is a great shooter in 30 cal,but if you want the 338lm,the that is what I would get. If you don't,you will always wonder what if?

Just my .02 worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well gang, I guess the 338 will have to wait. I could not find one wholesale, and the used ones were too much, so I bought a tan limited edition AR-30 in 300 WM. It has been shot 10 times (according to the previous owner) and is coming with the brake, harris bipod, and hard case. I can't wait till it gets here !! I e-mailed Armalite about the possibility of conversion to 338 LM, and the guy said no problem, send it in for a re-barrel and bolt head change. After I quizzed him about the price for such work, he replied back that he was sorry, but Armalite had apparently quit selling just the barrel. You now have to buy a barreled action "kit" at $865, but it is still do-able. I have sent an e-mail to a local BR gunsmith about re-barreling with an aftermarket tube, and changing bolt heads, but have not gotten a reply.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.