338 Sin

Thanks for the post, geargrinder.
While I think this is a fine concept, I don't believe you will be getting the same performance as the 338 RUM or 338 Norma due to less case capacity. Using a fatser powder like Vit N570 will help thou.
But, for the 225gr AB, with a 26" barrel , in a light weight rifle, I think this will be a great caliber. I beleive it will outperform the 338WM
For the 300gr SMK, I will stick with the EDGE or similar caliber.

Just ran across this thread, very interesting indeed.

Devin chambered a 7-300WSM Brux barrel for me and did a great job. He also worked around my being out of the country unexpectedly for awhile at the time.

Great guy and great to do business with. I hope this project succeeds.

I finally got the brass figured out and it is quite easy: form die, trim, hydro form, and FL size. Here are a few pics of what I did.

Form Die

IMAG0092.jpg

center one trimmed to length

IMAG0093.jpg

hydro formed case with 250gr SMK seated to 3.5" (std savage long action mag length)

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

I need to remeasure the neck length because I got in a hurry and I believe I cut it to short, I know its at least .015" short. What can I say I am a little excited haha

I am loading up some test rounds now to see where I will be in compared to 338 Rum loads. I am starting with 90.3 grs of retumbo with a 200 gr bullet over it. I feel that I should be very safe starting with that and working up. I plan on shooting tomorrow, I just need to snow shoe for a 1/2 mile to get to the range.

First trial loads where fired today. With 91.7grs of retumbo I hit 2936fps with a 200gr bullet and no pressure signs. From what I see on reloaders nest I am getting pretty close to 338 rum performance. I am thinking about trying h1000 as it has a faster burn or maybe Ramshot magnum. W#hat do you guys think?

First trial loads where fired today. With 91.7grs of retumbo I hit 2936fps with a 200gr bullet and no pressure signs. From what I see on reloaders nest I am getting pretty close to 338 rum performance. I am thinking about trying h1000 as it has a faster burn or maybe Ramshot magnum. W#hat do you guys think?

If this is a mild load for the Retumbo, you may consider trying several larger charges and see what develops. You may also try some Reloader 22 or 25 if you have it.

If this is a mild load for the Retumbo, you may consider trying several larger charges and see what develops. You may also try some Reloader 22 or 25 if you have it.

He mentioned to me that the load of Retumbo was compressed. That's why he was looking at a little quicker powder.

I think you are to slow for a 200 grain bullet in that size case. I think you will be better with a rate range from 4350 to re-22. Magpro, 7828 might fit and I have something that would make the 200 shine which is WMR. H-1000 and re25 are to slow with the 200 grainers. Get with me on a pm. I would like to help you with it. I have quite a bit of experience guessing starting loads for new wildcats. I am confident I can get you over 3200 fps with the 200 grainers. My 338 RUM loads with the 200 grainers hit in the 3300's.

I'm more curious what it's going to do with the 250's and 300's. When you had the reamer prints set up, how did you set the freebore and leade?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts