338 Sin

I like this thread. I have a 338 NM, and at first I was going to try to build off my 340WM. 2 SMITHS advised against this, weight was a concern also. Ended up custom route and glad because when my son turns 18 he gets a set up 340WM.One thing I overlooked in my plan for light set up was I ONLY get 2 rnds. in the mag, the 338 sin sounds like a good idea for ease of build without custom action

I will be interested to see what you get for performance with this round. I have a feeling due to slightly less case capacity and not as good brass that it will underperform the 338 Norma and Lapua, but should still get 2650-2700fps with the 300gr SMK.
This caliber might be a good candidate for Vit N570 powder to pick up some more speed.
Good luck .

Look what I made up today. And yes that's a custom 338 Sin resizing die
IMAG0081.jpg

I am trying to understand this cartridge. The 338 win mag is considerably shorter than the 338 RUM. So how can there be only six grains powder difference? Both the 338 RUM and the 338-300 RUM shoot best with 92-93 grains of H-1000 and 95-96 grains of Retumbo. So you are saying you are within six grains of these figures? I like the idea of it because you should get more velocity than the 338 win mag on an "06 length action. This cartridge will probably come close to the 340 wby but again in a shorter version that fits better through actions designed to fit 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag, 338 win mag, 264 win mag etc. With the 340 wby you need a long magnum action for best results so with this cartridge you would have more room to seat long bullets while still getting near 340 wby velocities. If a guy has a long magnum action he can just get a 340 wby and shoot over the counter products. It looks like it will be a booger to make brass for this thing.

Overall I like the idea of the cartridge. I like short fat cartridges. Basically a suped up short mag. I think people are going to have a hard time coming around to a wildcat that may be difficult to make brass for. Good luck with it. I think if a manufacturer came out with it and made brass easily available this could be a winner for both the manufacturer and the consumer. The company gets a good 338 to fill a niche on a standard length magnum action. Since magnum actions from several companies only fit cartridges up to the 300 win mag well and not the longer wby and STW cases. This would put those companies into a magnum larger than those actions have comfortably been able to shoot previously. For the consumer what seems to be a very efficient 338 without getting into the big booming powder guzzlers. It could probably be shot by many without a brake.

Long Time, Thanks for the reply to my thread. This won't be a cartridge for everyone, but hopefully it will meet the performance that I hope it can reach. The numbers I came up with are from a program and we all know real world numbers will most likely vari but hopefully they will be close. Taking a lot of the taper and bumping the shoulder forward is helping the cartridge gain its capacity. If it matches the 338 rum or Norma performance I would be extremly pleased. I would love to see it grow to be very big like the Edge but only time will tell how it will do.

I think it will do very well. I think it will be a fun gun to shoot and fill a niche that is just not there right now. I just didn't understand how you were getting that much powder in it or how hard it would be to form brass. Like I said, I think if a company came out with it in a factory rifle it would be a go. My 340 wby gets 2735 fps with the 300 smk out of a 28" barrel. Your cartridge has a much more efficient case design that I like. I feel certain you can get these numbers with a shorter cartridge that feeds well through any magnum action with bullets seated out. I think it is a great idea and I like the way you pushed the shoulder forward with minimum taper and shoulder angle to get the max out of it. Bottom line your cartridge will have plenty of power to kill anything further than a guy can hit it. It does that more efficiently than the big boomers. As I get older I learned to like efficientcy.

The biggest is that it is shorter than the 338RUM with only a bit less powder capacity.

This is especially good on Savage actions and others that aren't easily modified for longer OAL rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.