338-sims or 338 norma

new shooter

What would be the better case the 338 Sims or the 338 Norma and Y ? What one would hold he most powder ? Thanks for your time. Joe

Do you mean Sin 338? I have seen no posted h20 cap. here are a few I have seen but dont know how accurate. 340 WM-93,338 NM-107, 338 rum -113, 388LA-114.LTLR LISTED on a thread this capacity w/h870, 330 Dak.-89.5,340WM-98,338 Sin-102.5,338 Rum-107. The Sin was based off 338 Rum original, there using 330 Dakto brass.The 388 Norma is based off 416 Rigby,same as 338lapua. Which has a larger rim. So in short not as easy or designed for some actions. I think the Norma has a slightly larger capacity. The Sin adapts to more actions for a retrofit and you still maintain your mag capacity, My Norma in a basic mag , hunting type, holds 2 rounds. There are 338 Normas ready to go such as McMillian tac 338, and Mikes Gun Sales has them also. New Shooter, I thought you had a 338 LA?

Yes you are right its Sins. Yes i do have a 338 ax . I would like a lighter 338 Norma or a 338 Sins i can walk with. I love my 338 ax but i am to old and out of shape to pack it two or 3 miles. Joe

Yes you are right its Sins. Yes i do have a 338 ax . I would like a lighter 338 Norma or a 338 Sins i can walk with. I love my 338 ax but i am to old and out of shape to pack it two or 3 miles. Joe

I would recommend that you call or write Devin..Sinarms. He's really nice to talk to...he can advise you on potential solutions. Otherwise...you could try writing LTLR from this site. He has a tremendous amount of experience with .338 rounds of many forms. He had Devin make him a .338 Sin rifle that weighed in @ 6 1/2 lbs.

Good Luck,

Wayne

P.S.

Devin is working on a rifle in .338 Sin...for me.

The Norma has the greater case capacity by several grains. No forming required, excellent brass, non custom dies.

The sin is based on 338Dakota, forming steps, custom dies... It's the same length as the Norma. It has a standard magnum bolt face, and a 40 degree shoulder. I believe his idea was a drop in fit for actions extended mags aren't readily available for.

It's a good case. I like the Norma better.

I only know what I've read here and on Snipershide.

Last edited:
I have a packer size Norma, 7-2 oz. bare. 26'' braked, Defiance, Lonewolf. I really like the rifle, have shoot just over an inch @400 and shot a 6'' @ 1000. It dresses out at 8-12 oz. I shoot 300 OTM'S out of it at 2750, I know others shoot hotter loads, I want longevity in the barrel, I want to at some point get a 338 la, shoot it out and improve it for a rig practice type rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.