338 Sherman Short Tactical... The wait begins

Forcedoutage

Well, today I finished placing the order for this build. The longest lead time being the Manners Stock. I will likely have all the parts for the barreled action within two months to be shipped off, then have that installed and bedded into the stock when it arrives.

I just received my 6.5 SST from my Smith so I have some range time on this rifle to put in while waiting on the other parts and build.

This will be more of a larger bore mtn rifle build.

I am gathering parts for a 338 Max build. I didn't know the 338 sst existed. Let us know how the 6.5 sst goes. I am interested i one of those too.

I'll keep you updated. When looking for a lighter shorter barrel set up, I was looking at the 338 SS and 338 RCM. Of course there are benefits and disadvantages to each. I really wanted something in between the two to shoot 225 NAB's, and knew you had to blow out the shoulder of the 338 SS brass which got me to thinking that maybe it was 338 SST brass. Rich confirmed this so it was a no brainer for me. I like the fact that barrel length in a larger bore like the 338 is less critical than the smaller calibers, and the case design in the shorter magnums also lend themselves to shorter barrels without loosing the benefit of the round.

The ADG brass may have the shallower angle of the SST, but where is there a reamer for the 338sst?

I was thinking of the 338rcm. Then I looked at the Sherman line up and like it better. I was afraid of the rmc being hard to find brass for. I also like having something not many have. I have been researching the SS line up and love the platform.

IN MY SHOP:D
Elkaholic, I know I keep asking questions and really appreciate your help. What is the difference between the 338ss, the 338 max and the sst? I looked at your website and didn't see information for that....but I may have overlooked them.

Thanks!

IMG_20190710_204425265.jpg
IMG_20190710_204425265.jpg
Elkaholic, I know I keep asking questions and really appreciate your help. What is the difference between the 338ss, the 338 max and the sst? I looked at your website and didn't see information for that....but I may have overlooked them.

Thanks!
The SS and SST are both shortened saum with the taper blown out and longer necks. The SS has q 40 degree shoulder and the sst a 30. Capicity difference is 3+ grains.
The Max is a full length saum with the same design as the SS and has about 4 grains more capacity than the ss
l to r. max, sst, ss

People always seem to go down the "wouldn't one be enough" path. I see a need or use for all 3 of the above. The short 338 rounds are so limited and choices are so nice to have! I also appreciate Rich answering all my dumb questions as well.

Again forgive my ignorance Elkaholic. How much difference between the sst and the Max on performance? If I was going to the Max, I was planing on using a long action. With the sst I could go with a short action.....right? I am looking to build a elk/moose/ stop a charging grizzly gun. I think any of these would do, but why leave the extra power for the same cost. This has thrown a new wrench into my plans....in a good way!.....then just add a 6.5 sst....and a 7 sst....and...

Again forgive my ignorance Elkaholic. How much difference between the sst and the Max on performance? If I was going to the Max, I was planing on using a long action. With the sst I could go with a short action.....right? I am looking to build a elk/moose/ stop a charging grizzly gun. I think any of these would do, but why leave the extra power for the same cost. This has thrown a new wrench into my plans....in a good way!.....then just add a 6.5 sst....and a 7 sst....and...
If you have choice of action, I would go with the Max. It will run a 250 Berger at probably 2950 with proper throating

Wow! That's impressive and exactly what I will do. That should take care of anything I come across. Thanks for all the great information you provide for us here. It is so helpful having man who came up with these great choices at our disposal....well kinda lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.