338 RUM

Nathanial

Hello all, I am having a 338RUM built and my smith wants a dummy round to cut the chamber. Problem is I have never had a 338 RUM or loaded for it so I have no idea what OAL I will need. My plan is to use the 250 grain Sierra match king for target but will use other 250s for hunting also.

Any ideas on what OAL I need to set up this dummy round so I can get the best use of bullet to rifling adjustment?
Thanks, Nathan

460wby

I dont know exactly with the 250 grainer Sierra, but the COL on these cartridge is 91mm. In my rifle it's the magazine that sets the limit for me, and thats 91,8mm!
I am not able to get any of the bullets i've tried to touch the lands, without feeding them directly into the chamber without trought the magazine.
I've tried som 215grs. Sierras and they worked fine.
But i think this is 250 grainers -cartridge. Anything lighter is'nt right!

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce