338 RUM Vs 300 RUM

WarKitty

Hello everybody I am new and could use some help.

I know this thread already exists but it is over 4 years old.

I really want a 338 Ultra Mag. Everything I have read including material on this forum tells me it is superior to the 300 RUM and nearly equal to the 338 Lapua.

The only reason I am even considering a 300 is I cannot find a 338 in stock anywhere. I do have 2 used options.

1. Browning A-Bolt with a break and 10 boxes of I think 250 grain factory Core Lokt less than a box of shells through it. Old man says it was too much gun after 10 rounds or so for $1200

2. Remington 700 with a McMillan stock and Lilja barrel 27.5 inches with a pain killer break base and rings no scope has a bipod some brass dies I think he said under 50 rounds put through it. $1200.

For $1200 I could probably build a bad *** 300 RUM and it would be brand new but the barrel life of a 300 compared to the 338 ....eh:rolleyes:

A little background, I have shot a Remington Model 4 (Semi Auto) and 7 chambered in 6MM all of my life. A little 30-06 Model 700 as well but I love my 6MM. Why anyone choses the 243 over the 6MM is beyond me and anyone who has shot both surely must scratch their head as to why 1 survived and the other did not. Yes I am a girl and No, shooting a 338 RUM does not scare me as I am very fit.

The primary purpose of this gun is to learn to shoot to 1000 yards and beyond. The secondary purpose is some future trips to Alaska that may involve some bears.

1. What is your opinion on 300 VS 338?
2. What is your opinion on my 2 used options?
3. Where in the hell can I find a new 338 RUM?

Thanks. I have learned a lot before I registered and now that I am maybe I will be able to continue to learn and maybe contribute!
gun)

I've had a savage long range hunter in 338Lm and now have Remington 700 bdl semi custom in 338 ultra mag. It has as good of balistics as I could load up for the savage in velocity (same barrel 26") great accuracy. At the ranges your are looking to shoot the 300 rum doesn't lack much if any with good high b.c. bullets and more available componets. Just my opinion... ( never owned 300 rum)

Welcome aboard, Kitty .....

1. What is your opinion on 300 VS 338?
2. What is your opinion on my 2 used options?
3. Where in the hell can I find a new 338 RUM?

gun)

Inasmuch as #2 is a no sale IMO (I wouldn't consider a used rifle if I could build a custom for only a few dollars more - well, maybe a bit more than a "few") let's go back to #1.
I've made the mistake of accepting less than I wished for a couple of times and always ended up disappointed and wishing I had gone ahead with plan "A". I'd go for broke with a custom action (A Remington clone but not a worked over factory Remington) a Bartlein R5 barrel and a McMillan stock.
With a custom build you should have no trouble achieving the .338 Lapua goal and, even though I shoot a custom 284 Winchester for competition, I'd have to admit that the Lapua would meet every conceivable hunting need, even the Alaskan challenge.

Welcome aboard, Kitty .....

Inasmuch as #2 is a no sale IMO (I wouldn't consider a used rifle if I could build a custom for only a few dollars more - well, maybe a bit more than a "few") let's go back to #1.
I've made the mistake of accepting less than I wished for a couple of times and always ended up disappointed and wishing I had gone ahead with plan "A". I'd go for broke with a custom action (A Remington clone but not a worked over factory Remington) a Bartlein R5 barrel and a McMillan stock.
With a custom build you should have no trouble achieving the .338 Lapua goal and, even though I shoot a custom 284 Winchester for competition, I'd have to admit that the Lapua would meet every conceivable hunting need, even the Alaskan challenge.

I appreciate the response. My main problem and only reason I am considering used is I cannot find a 338 RUM brand new. The Browning is owned by a friend of my dads. My dad was there when he bought the gun and the bullets and after the 10th round he witnessed the .... "Yeah this is too much gun and I'm too old for this :cool:".

This time of the year I'd expect it to be difficult to find a new one - the "ten shot" guys bought them up for this hunting season so now they're "used" :)
Suggestion ......lightbulb
Prepare a list of gun shops by internet searches and either email or call them. Often times a shop will have one on the shelf that isn't otherwise known about.
Some will ship, some won't. But it's worth a try. Most will ship to your FFL.
You're in Arizona and California isn't that far away. In my area there's a huge gun store in Oroville, CA (Huntingtons Sportsmans Store - everything for the hunter, fisherman, handloader & outdoorsman) then there's always Cabela's in Reno (Search Results : Cabela's)

You are going to have a heck of a time finding any rem 700 at present with the trigger recall on the newer triggers. I'd use the 338 over a big 30 if I were after bear, but deer will drop just fine from a big 7 or thirty even way out there.

cabelas has 6 pages of 338's in the gun library, but most are lapua or win
Search Results : Cabela's

cabelas has 6 pages of 338's in the gun library, but most are lapua or win
Search Results : Cabela's

I've never bought a used firearm through Cabela's but I've sold a few and if they're as picky with everyone else as they were with me I don't think they'd put something out that wasn't in tip-top shape so I trust them.
The last kid I talked to at Cabela's about a Smith and Wesson I had in a presentation case knew more about the gun than I did ... and he didn't have a reference sheet to look at.

Background:

I have 3 300 RUM rifles. 1 Reminton BDL with a very nice brake, 1 Custom on a Hall E Action and one 1000yard Bench gun on a 700 action with a Barrel block mounting system.

I have a 338 Edge just finished. My 338 WinMag is becomng a 338/26 Nosler right now.

The 300 RUM seems hard to tune for me. The 338 Edge (338/300 RUM) seems easier.

The is only one factory 338 RUM on Galery Of Guns, a Remington 700. Not in stock.

The 338 RUM is easier on barrels. Of course it depends on your loads and shooting.

If it were me, I'd get a 338 RUM or 338 Edge made up ASAP.

I am considering selling my Remington 700 in 300 RUM and I have a 338 Bartlien barrel. Could become a 338 RUM or 338 Edge very quickly. I also have a spare 300 RUM barrel (stainless not blued) but the brake will need to be fitted when the barrel is installed. I also have a 4" Wyatts extended box and follower. Requires smithing for install but it's not a hard job.

I have another 'kit of parts' as well. Reminton 700 originally a 30-06. Now has a mag bolt, LSS stock. Timney trigger. Of course the spare barrel could go on it along with the Wyatts CFE-9 4" mag box and follower. The feed slot will have to be adjusted for the Ultra Mag sized case.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.