.300 RUM muzzle break???

I was told by a gunsmith this weekend that he can put a muzzle brake on a .300 RUM and make it feel like a .25-06 when you shoot it. This seems kind of hard to believe, but I am no expert. I have never shot the RUM, so I have no comprehension on how much recoil it actually has. I hear it is a real kicker. Could a muzzle brake make this much of a difference? Maybe in conjunction with a good recoil pad?

Knappy

I have the 300 RUM and the 300RUM necked to .338 with brakes on both and they have very little kick without the brakes they have considerable kick. Put a brake on it and enjoy!! If you want a pad as well, the limb saver is a good choice!

I don't know if this helps or not, but I can tell you that I have an Ops Inc on my 300 WM and it kicks about the same as my .308, maybe slightly less. I love it.

********! I shot a braked 30-404 (basically a RUM) with 210's in a 16.5LB bench gun.

kicked like a freakin mule compared to my 8lb 25-06 with 115 b-tips at 3000fps.

Dont believe everything you hear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

Not all brakes are created equal. Some work better than others, especially when noise is concerned. The Vias and Gentry are two of the quitier one. On a 300 WSM, a Vais brought recoil down to a 308 in a 8.5# rifle.

I shoot a 300 Jarrett with Kenny's brake, a 300 RUM with a Vais and a 338-416 Rigby with a Vias. The 338 is loaded with 119 grains of H-870 behind a 230 grain slug. None of these rifles are light weight (they will all weigh in the neighborhood of 10lbs or more), and yet none of these rifles kick as hard as a 308 Ruger that my son has. The Ruger has the "skeletonize" stock and doesn't fit anyone but a child - yet IMO the 308 manages to kick like a Missouri mule.
All of this simply testifies to the fact that there are a lot of factors involved in recoil; Stock fit, effective muzzle brakes, caliber and weight of the rifle, muzzle velocity - and maybe most important individual perception/reaction to recoil.

I shoot 2 Gentry muzzel brakes. 300 win and 300 Rum

300Win 168gr A-Maxs 72.1gr. IMR 4350 shoots a little lighter than my 30-06 with the same wt. bullet and 54grs IMR 4350.
Liter weight bullets shoot softer (125's) and heavier thump more (180's).

300 Rum 125bt's and 106 H-1000 you can sometimes see the impact if the yardage is long enough. 350+(what a wack)
190 Smk's 92gr Retombo you can hear the wack but it takes awhile for your eyes to re-focus.Even with a slip on recoil pad. Kicks about like the 30-06 with 180's and a tee shirt.

Course both rifles are factory synthetic stocks and weigh less than 10lbs with the optics.

Even if the brake only reduces felt recoil by 15 or 20% your still ahead of the game. These big case suckers will flat out muckel ya.

I'd say go for it.

Theres nothing like touching one of these babys off!
The dust flies, the grass gets flattened, leaves fly off the surrounding foilage, and impact on the target is well, final.

I have the JP muzzle brake on my .338 UM. I would say it has less kick shooting 250gr Game Kings then my 30-06 with 175gr bullets.

Before I put the brake on it wasn't a whole lot of fun to pull the trigger. Now I can shoot my ultramag all day without any problems.

I was told by a gunsmith this weekend that he can put a muzzle brake on a .300 RUM and make it feel like a .25-06 when you shoot it. This seems kind of hard to believe, but I am no expert. I have never shot the RUM, so I have no comprehension on how much recoil it actually has. I hear it is a real kicker. Could a muzzle brake make this much of a difference? Maybe in conjunction with a good recoil pad?

Knappy

I have a 300 Weatherby Mag with the Weatherby Monte Carlo stock and handload 200 grain TSX bullets to the Max, no muzzle break. With a good stock and recoil pad, no need for a muzzle brake. I also have a Rem Sendero in 2506. I still prefer to shoot the 300. Proper stock and fit is important for high recoiling rifles. A poor stock fit and you will remember the pain.

No offense to guys who like brakes, but I wont use one, at least not on my gun. There are a few ways to get around recoil. Good recoil pads, slip on pads and mercury reducers. My technique is to use a slip on recoil pad for bench shooting which is what I did with my 300 WSM. I could shoot it all day. And in the field I could take the pad off or leave it on. I never feel recoil in hunting situations.

I jusy bought a used Sendero 300 RUM and haven't fired it yet. But the previous owner said it was very pleasant to shoot, less kick than his 300 WM or 7mm RM. The Sendero weighs about 8 1/2 lbs and with base, rings and NF will weigh about 11 lbs. IMO, about the perfect carry LR rifle.

Reasons I dont like brakes, they add to length, and I like to keep the length as short as practically possible for carry rifles. They make a lot of noise. They cost $$$.

This is in no way a critique or slam of those guys who do like brakes. This is just my personal preference. Brakes obviously do have their advantages. So before getting a brake, think about it and I would also recommend shooting your rifle first without one to see just how hard it kicks.

I have a Carlock brake on my .300RUM, it makes the recoil very mild- I could shoot that gun all day long and never get sore. It also keeps annoying people as far away as possible at the range!

My Local guns smith, K. Allen put a break on my 300 RUM. I don't know why it took me so long to do it. Absolutly a blast to shoot. 200 gr. Accubond at 96 gr and it feels like your shooting a .243. It was the best thing anyone has ever talked me into doing. Love it.

I have a 300rum with a holland brake , It made a big difference, 210berger 92grs retumbo , now i can see my bullets hit . A few friend's fired my rifle . Now they all have brakes . I don't mind recoil just depends on what u use ur rifle for . But u will need hearing protection.
cheers