338 RUM Scope

Double AA

Hi guy's, I just found this forum and I'm impressed with the knowledge and information found here. Having said that, I searched and found several opinions on scopes others use.

I just bought a 338 RUM LSS and I'm looking for a scope in the 4x14 range or possibly higher. I don't want to give up too much FOV. I have S&B, Zeiss, Leupold and Burris on other rifles. I like the size, quality and cost of the 4x14x44 Zeiss. I'm concerned that the Zeiss will hold up to the recoil. Does anyone have any long term experience with this scope on a rifle of equal or heavier recoil? I know Night Force has a good reputation for durability but I would like to keep the size, weight and cost down if at all possible. Thanks in advance,

Double AA

My experience w/338 Win and RUM isi w/o a brake any of the ones you mention would work.

With a brake its a different story. I trashed a scope on the 338 Win after the brake was installed. Went with a Weaver 4.5X14 Tactical and it held up on the Win w/250s @ 2800, the Rum w/250s @ ~3000 and 300 SMKs @ just over 2700.

A braked rifle is harder on scopes than a non braked rifle. W/ a non braked rifle, the force of the recoil is in one direction and in one motion. W/a braked rifle, the recoil of the bullet down the bore starts the gun back and then the gases exiting through the brake then pull the gun forward. The result is ALOT more stress on the scope as it starts reward and is then jerked back forward. This is why good rings are a necessity on a braked rifle as well.

[ QUOTE ]
A braked rifle is harder on scopes than a non braked rifle. W/ a non braked rifle, the force of the recoil is in one direction and in one motion. W/a braked rifle, the recoil of the bullet down the bore starts the gun back and then the gases exiting through the brake then pull the gun forward. The result is ALOT more stress on the scope as it starts reward and is then jerked back forward. This is why good rings are a necessity on a braked rifle as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The man is correct...as usual!

[ QUOTE ]
elaborate Roy.... after the brake was on you trashed scopes ?? me confused

[/ QUOTE ]

What Bill Bailey said!!

The Alaskan Guide didn't last 20 shots w/the brake. One can be put on an air rifle and get the same results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

thanks alot, like the little $H!TS head needed to swell anymore!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

and i gotta work beside the freakin carney midget!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the replies. I haven't shot the rifle yet, but i'm not planning on useing a brake. I've actually never fired a gun with a muzzle brake.

Before I buy the Zeiss is there anything else around that magnification range I should look at?

Thanks guys for explaining, I like this site alot for how well things are done.

Instead of everyone picking on me and making fun, things were explained well and politely.

Thanks Bill for the good answer. Guess I learned something new and will know better when something is asked again...

Hats off to ya ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I won't and most people on here won't flame for making a mistake or asking a question that may seem simple. Most of the things I learned about this game were right here on LRH. Including the answer to that question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the same for sound moderators?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.