Scope for 338 rum hunting rifle

I'd go with the VX5. The SHV is light on eye relief for that 338 Rum you'll want as much as you can get

I've been eyeballing these (a buddy as well) for my .338 RUM. Mine is a somewhat light-ish rifle that seems to knock scopes silly. The latest victim has been sent for repair after not holding zero, and of course goes down right before an out of state hunt. When a scope goes down in this manner I no longer trust it, so it will be replaced. Keep us posted on how it performs.

I plan on shooting it some more before bear season and hunting it as much as I can so I will report back. It is mounted on a 700 awr with talley lightweights. No muzzle brake and the rifle is pretty light so it should test the scope pretty well. Once I finish up shooting this 250 gr barnes factory loads I will be working up an accubond or berger load so it will see some abuse. Really surprised that the recoil isn't as bad as I was expecting. Reminds me of my muzzleloader.

"Really surprised that the recoil isn't as bad as I was expecting. Reminds me of my muzzleloader."

Well if you don't think a muzzleloader kicks than you aren't particularly recoil sensitive.:D
That's a good thing!

Don't get me wrong, it isn't something I want to shoot all day. Either one of them. 150 grains of prodex and a 200 grain shockwave in my 45 cal inline has always been my load for it. The 338 rum may actually be slightly more docile. I just expected it to be worse after hearing all the people say they won't shoot theirs without a brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.