338 owners advice please

elkaholic

I am looking for input on real experiences with the number of grooves in your 338 barrels. I know what some of the accepted theories are on more or less grooves, but would like to hear from the owners themselves. I have 3, 4 and 5 groove barrels on rifles from 6.5 to 30 caliber and have had some good results with all. I am currently considering a 338 Sherman build and have lots of good choices in barrels. I currently shoot Krieger , Bartlein, and Brux and will likely stay with one of those three. In 338, Krieger uses 4 grooves, Bartlein 5r, and Brux 6 grooves. Please let me know what you think are the pros and cons in your own experience. THANKS!........Rich

It's not custom, so this may be no help, but my TC venture has 5r and it shoots almost everything i feed it .5-.75 moa in a 338 WM.

All of mine are 5.

Benchmark 338 Edge
Barlein 5R 9.5 (not installed in anything)
Weatherby Factory 338/26-Nosler, could be 6, I didn't look.

A 338 SS would be great. I wish I new the specs of the SS body so I could model it in QuickDesign. I have one similar but not the same.

I'm guessing based on my reading about the SS and mine that is close, with a 225 Accubond you will get ~2800fps from a 26" barrel. Maybe I think it has more capacity that it does but that meets or beats 338WM and compares pretty well with a 33 Nosler giving up only 200fps for ~30 grains of powder savings.

I have a 22" sporter 338 RCM with a Lilja #2 SS that is a 6 groove 1 in 10 twist. Shoots the 225 accubonds @ 2750 with RL-17

Second 338 RCM is a rebored/rerifled 30" SS barrel done by Classic barrel works. It is also a 6 groove. It is setup to shoot the 300 gr Bergers @ 2525 fps with RL-17 and has a 1 in 9 twist.

Buddy's 338 RUM has a 28" Lilja 1 in 10 twist 6 groove. Shoots 300 gr Sierras @ 2845 fps

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts