338 Norma Mag build questions

atl5029

Hi all,

In my recent posts I have been asking questions trying to figure out exactly what I want to do for my first big 338 build. First I was thinking a wildcat 338-375 Ruger, then I considered just buying a magnum length action and building a 338 RUM or Edge or Lapua and not dealing with the wildcat costs. Then azsugarbear suggested the .338 Norma mag. At first glance, this round really appeals to me. It can run with the Lapua and Edge and is supposed to fit in a standard long action, which will help not destroy my budget. So I have a few questions concerning a build in this caliber...

So this round is supposed to fit in a standard long action (30-06/300 WM length). Am I correct there?

One issue I see people talking about is opening up the bolt face on a Rem 700 action to .588". Some say it is OK if you use common sense and don't try to hot rod your loads to crazy pressure, and other say that removing that much material compromises the strength of the bolt lugs. Can anyone lay this to rest?

Personally, my thinking was to build using a new Howa 1500 barreled action in 338 Win Mag. I would open the bolt face as you would on a Rem 700 and then rechamber the barrel for 338 Norma. I bet the feed rails/ramp would need some mods to feed the new round as well. The action comes with their HACT match 2 stage trigger. I would upgrade the barrel to a Kreiger with a faster twist and heavier contour later, but for now I want to get into the game of shooting a big 338. Does anyone see any potential problems with opening up the Howa bolt face or rechambering the barrel?

Will the Norma round fit in the Win Mag magazine with respect to the width of the round?

Thanks guys

I was advised by 2 different smiths not to use a standard action since it is a lapua based . I had a weatherby mark V donor, plus I would have lost a nice 340 in the deal. Personally if I wanted one I would watch classifieds here, I have seen several nice ones and bought a extra myself. I also would not take the 338 edge or lapua off list if looking used and right deal turns up.They are all large 338. I saw a 338 edge DE used while back that had outstanding groups good deal and no wait for build. I have 2 tried and tested Normas with multiple bulls under each

It looks like you can buy a bolt head for the 338 Lapua for a savage 110 and replace the standard or standard magnum bolt head on a normal 110. Does anyone know if the replacement bolt head for the Lapua will fit in a normal 110 receiver?

If you are wanting to build something with that large diameter case, you need to buy a BAT HR action that is configured for a Lapua cartridge.

I used a Weatherby Mark V action for my 300 Jazz, which is an improved version of the 300 Norma, and it works great. However, if I would do it again, I would go with a custom action built for the big 338's.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.