300 Norma Mag build questions

Brett Bracken

I've started the planning phase of a new rifle build and am leaning toward the 300 Norma Magnum cartridge. Soo.....I have a few questions with which I would appreciate some help and clarification:
1) I understand that this cartridge requires a larger bolt face/action (same as the 338 Lapua Magnum) requiring a larger action than a standard long action. When I look at the dimensions of 300 NM case it's actually shorter than 300 Win Mag, which measures 2.62" whereas the 300 NM measures 2.492". The 300 NM case is fatter, so does that mean the action required is heavier or bulkier, rather than longer, than a standard long action? I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I'm just trying to get some clarity.
2) Assuming the action required is heavier/bulkier than a standard long action, but not necessarily longer, will I still be able to use a standard 3.85" long action bottom metal and magazines? Or does the 300 NM cartridge require a thicker, wider bottom metal and magazine?
3) In my research of the 300 Norma Mag cartridge I've gotten the impression that it is inherently very accurate and easily tunable. With that said I'm really not interested in shooting heavy bullets, but rather shooting Berger 215's in the hope of pushing them in the neighborhood of 3200 fps...assuming a 28"-30" barrel. Am I getting off track? Can I expect the same accuracy with 215's as others are getting with 230's?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BAT HR is the best "Lapua" sized action on the market for various reasons. Borden is also coming out with one that will be very nice and proper size on the lugs and thread diameter. 215's at 3200 might work in a 30" barrel. Myself and many others have improved 35 degree versions of the 300 Norma. The case is shorter but wider than a 300 win mag. Once I get above 3100 with a 215, I step it up to 230's.

If you want the FAST speeds, you'll want an improved version. Build it on an action that has a large tenon thread of 1.1" and utilize a 1.25" barrel shank. These options will allow you to run the most pressure before chamber/action flex gives less clearance and gives clickers and bolt lift and other conventional pressure signs. The long 30" barrel should allow you to run 3200 w/ 215s. My rifle with a 26" barrel ran well at 3160 fps but after 4 reloads on brass I started getting clickers. I have a small tenon and 1.2" shank barrel, ans I suspect this to be part of the problem. Go with a smith who has a good chamber design and proper custom dies. I'd recommend @Alex Wheeler or Dallas Lane @Elk Hunter 338 they've got thr norma improved figured out with dies that actually size the base to prevent clicker and early pressure issues.

BAT HR is the best "Lapua" sized action on the market for various reasons. Borden is also coming out with one that will be very nice and proper size on the lugs and thread diameter. 215's at 3200 might work in a 30" barrel. Myself and many others have improved 35 degree versions of the 300 Norma. The case is shorter but wider than a 300 win mag. Once I get above 3100 with a 215, I step it up to 230's.
but the 300 sherman will hit 3300 plus w/215 in a 28" with same case cap as a 30 nosler! so the norma improved at 113gr should be like 3500 fps 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

Dads having one built by Kelbly as we speak. In hindsight, wishes he would have went with a more practical cartidge but I think in terms of speed, the .300 Norma is the king of the 30s. I think this cartidge really shines as you get close to that 1 mile marker. Anything less and a 300 PRC or even a 300 Roy/Winny are more than sufficient.

I almost went this route but ended up with the 30 Sherman. Be curious how this goes. I was building a ultra light hiking rifle so didn't want the larger action. And if I was going that large of action I would have just done a .338 lapua improved or a 30 lapua improved

Appreciate everyone's comments but could someone answer my specific questions....especially #1 and #2? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what kind of stock requirements do I need to address. Will I be able to use a composite style hunting stock or is going to require a chassis system?

question #1 No
question #2 yes

The absolute best advise i can give is find a Custom builder that does the norma IMP and other large capacity magnums as the norm, that way your rifle will be built the way its suppose to be instead of what they think it should be!

question #1 No
question #2 yes

The absolute best advise i can give is find a Custom builder that does the norma IMP and other large capacity magnums as the norm, that way your rifle will be built the way its suppose to be instead of what they think it should be!

This advice right here. Maybe call pierce engineering and chat them up. I know they have done a good number of those. That's who I called and had a chat with when thinking of building mine.

I know what issues you are running into and you may be able to cross reference.338 lapua builds. They run into the same questions and answers. Some action builders offer one built for that on a standard 700 footprint and say it's fine with the right stuff done. Others swear you need a larger action.
I believe lone peak offers a .338 action based on standard 700 footprint that would allow you to build a Norma off it and use a standard stock.
I know pierce also does offer one like that. In fact they have a guy that is on his 3 maybe 4rth by now barrel. Maybe call both and see. I like pierce myself because they make actions and build the rifles in shop. All mine have been amazing. I just went a different route than a norma and ended up with 30 Sherman.
Hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts