• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED 338 Muzzle brake Please help!

338RUML

By recommendation of my gunsmith I went with a 7/8" 9/16"by32tpi harrel precision 4 port tactical brake, for my 338 ultra mag. I have been shooting 300 Bergers with rl 33 getting an average 2840 muzzle velocity that hot of a load out of my light weight rifle seems to just beat the hell out me I shoot a group of my loads then shoot my fathers 7 RUM with 175 LRAB loaded to the nuts and it barely has any recoil at all. Now to the point I am in need of a more effective muzzle brake!! Any and all recommendations are appreciated thanks! Ps it has to be 9/16x32tpi

I don't have any 9/16x32 thread brakes. honestly sending a 300 gr bullet in a lightweight rifle at 2800 fps is gonna have some push to it. I would have done a fluted sendero contour in a manners eh1 and it would have been 8.5 lbs without optics. The positive to that is you can go with a 3/4x24 thread brake which is way better than 9/16 for that caliber. Bigger brake and a hair more weight would make recoil a breeze.

My Fat Bastard Gen II on a custom 338 Lapua Magnum has been pleasant to shoot.

Well thanks for your opinions I bought a factory rifle put a BC Alaskan stock on with good optics and a Jewell trigger so obviously I have been shooting the factory sporter barrel which I paid to have a brake put on... I am asking what muzzle brake choices are out there for my current thread pitch, not what I should of done if I had the money at that time...

I've build a couple using that brake and it's generally a decent brake, your not going to go leaps and bounds better honestly unless it has a much larger through hole than needed. I've braked a number of those rifles using many different brakes and it's never going to be a cream puff, I'm not aware of a better functioning brake in that TPI. The best thing I've done in that particular rifle weight and type is to shoot a 250 Berger, it's amazing how much it cuts the recoil and you loose nothing in the effective range of that type of rifle.

Give Karl Kampfeld with Kampfeld Customs a call. He put a muzzle break on my Rem 700 (standard contour) 338 RUM and I have been very pleased. I have never been disappointed with any of his work.

To reduce recoil you are going to have to add weight or/and shoot a lighter bullet (as bigngreen) stated. Or just accept the fact that it is gonna kick...hard!:D
I have two .338s; an 11 pound RUM and a 16 pound Edge, both of which have a brake. They are both shooting a 300 grain SMK over 2800 fps. When my daughter was 11 years old and >100lbs she would shoot my Edge. That was several years back, she has grown up quite a bit and will NOT shoot the 11 pound .338. It isn't exactly what I would call a lightweight, but it is light for a heavy recoiling cartridge. I'm not recoil sensitive but thinking about trying the 250 Bergers. They have a high BC and with the potential velocity gain the performance out to 1000 yards should be comparable to the 300 grainers. If nothing else it should make spotting my own hits easier, something that isn't an issue with the heavier rifle.

Yea I have been told roughly the same thing that shooting a 300 grain pill that fast out of a 10 lbs rifle is going to kick like a mule no matter what! Thanks for the responses jentlemen

Now my next question where have you guys found Berger bullets accuracy node at? In terms of seating depth and velocity... Within 100 thousandths or further away than 100 thou from the lands specifically the 300 grain elite hunter

my terminator T3 brake works wonders on my savage 338 lapua with 250s and 99 grains of h1000

I've got 2 Lapuas, one with ar30 brake from armalite, other is a gen2 fat bastard. Ar brake is the best. My wife and I shoot, she will leave the range after shooting 50 rounds of Lapua and 50 of creedmoor wishing we brought more ammo, this is in a 4 hour timeperiod, that's each of us.... Now the muzzle last is impressive, and it's ugly, but the brake flat works... Fat bastard is good brake, but not as good as ar30 type. I don't like how it seems to push gasses back at the shooter more, the armalite has the "wing" to push it out around you. Loads are 300 gr. At 2750 though, our range goes to 1300 and don't see the point of pushing our brass life, at that range.
I've tried Berger otm and elite hunter, and about to sell what's left. We shoot a lot of scenars and some m/k's.over rl33 and h1000.