338 Laupa AI Accuracy

bjlooper

"to make that 338 shoot you are really going to have to sort the bullets by ogive and would recommend metplat trimming. that is about the only ways to make the 338 really competitive."

This is a quote from a different thread it was in refference to a member talking about a new 338Lapua AI.

Why is extra care needed to make a .338 competive. Is there a lack of quality bullets???
Thanks
DR B

[ QUOTE ]
"to make that 338 shoot you are really going to have to sort the bullets by ogive and would recommend metplat trimming. that is about the only ways to make the 338 really competitive."

This is a quote from a different thread it was in refference to a member talking about a new 338Lapua AI.

Why is extra care needed to make a .338 competive. Is there a lack of quality bullets??? [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
bjlooper,
you could say there is a lack of quality bullets there is the 300gr Sierra match king and some use the Wildcat 300gr uld's and heavier and that is it there are no other bullets in this class. I use the 300gr SMK and have found they vary greatly compared to there smaller bullets (for example I have a lot of .243 cal 107gr SMK's that are virtualy perfect) on the 300gr SMK's I sort them by bearing surface length then sort from rear bearing surface to meplat. I try to trim the meplats only as a last resort because it cuts down the B.C. more than you would think. if you drop down to the 225-250gr class bullets you dont have near the problems as with the 300's but not near the B.C.
hope this helps
UB
sorry I screwed up the quote button

BJ

That quote is probably from one of my previous. With the 338 as a "competitive gun" it is very difficult. I only know one or two who even try to use them anymore. The 300 gr SMK has a variance on base to ogive (my last lot was .007 for 95% with a handfull on either end) but those on either end will blow open a group.

Also the SMK metplats are not uniform. After uniforming, a a loss of 2% on BC is not important in comp. Add two clicks on the scope. While a 4" rise or drop in vertical from metplat variation, will kill a group. Therefore the metplat trimming to uniform the metplats.

BH

forgot to add that there are some that are shooting the 250 Scenar and they like it. Not sure what issues with sorting they are running into.

Bottom line is not a lot of quality competitive bullets to choose from in 338.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.