338 Lapua Ai AX

etisll40

I've seen some shooting from long range guys using the ai ax 338 Lapua (impressive.) They platform seems expensive, not even sure what action they use? Are they a step up in quality or accuracy? Just looking for opinions, I was offered one.

If you own one, please elaborate.

Thanks and Happy and a safe New Year to all...

If you are talking about the 338 AX (allen xpress) built by Kirby, the performance is good, the build quality is good, putting up with the BS to get one is not worth the time. If for some reason you are able to get one that is low round count from another source other than the above mentioned builder I would go for it and bypass the 2+ year wait.

If you are referring to the Accuracy International (ai) action, they are basically match-grade battle rifles that are capable of sub-1/4 MOA precision in battlefield conditions (dirt,dust, mud, snow, ics ... etc). They are heavy but bomb proof and just work. I have owned a few and the across the board they are the most accurate AND reliable rifles that I own.

The action is made by accuracy international and permanently bonded into a full-length chassis ... I have never seen one of their actions bedded in a different stock like a manners or mcmillan.

You can hunt with them and I have taken several deer at 350 - 570 yards but they are heavy for hiking ....

I've seen some shooting from long range guys using the ai ax 338 Lapua (impressive.) They platform seems expensive, not even sure what action they use? Are they a step up in quality or accuracy? Just looking for opinions, I was offered one.

If you own one, please elaborate.

Thanks and Happy and a safe New Year to all...

This is one heck of a cool wildcat. Offered one? Meaning its ready and you still have to pay or you were already considering a cool 338?
My question is are you married to it? There are a few calibers that are more readily available that will fit the distance bill without creating a spending bill equal to the US debt. LOL
The ai platform adds about 5-8 grains of available powder +/- to the 338 LM case and only about 75-100 fps more

Would you possibly consider 338 Norma as an option? No fire forming. Can run long high BC bullets and get velocities in the 2900+ fps range with 300 grain bullets. Tons of manufacturers make this caliber and the components are more readily available.

Example load data for 338 NM = 285 grain VLDM / 90.1 grains RETUMBO / CCI 250 Primer. Case is approximately 94% full and achieving 2935 out of a 26 inch barrel. Run a 28 or 30 and you can gauge the FPS if you want to go ELR out past what 99% of people are capable.

So 2 items I gather.

1. Ai ax rifle

OR

2. Lapua improved or 338ai (ackley improved.)

The rifle, I think I am going to get it.
Thanks for chiming in.

If you are referring to the Accuracy International (ai) action, they are basically match-grade battle rifles that are capable of sub-1/4 MOA precision in battlefield conditions (dirt,dust, mud, snow, ics ... etc). They are heavy but bomb proof and just work. I have owned a few and the across the board they are the most accurate AND reliable rifles that I own.

The action is made by accuracy international and permanently bonded into a full-length chassis ... I have never seen one of their actions bedded in a different stock like a manners or mcmillan.

You can hunt with them and I have taken several deer at 350 - 570 yards but they are heavy for hiking ....
Herr, is this an AI rifle here? Older version?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.