More questions regarding a .338 laupa rifle

Hi. Beeing new to the forum, I hope you have some patience with me.

I have plans of setting up the following rifle, and wonder if you guys got som comments and advice?

-HS Precision Heavy Tactical Rifle (left handed) chambered for .338 Laupa Magnum.
-HS Precision 2-piece weaver-base

-NightForce steel rings
-NightForce 5.5-22x56 NXS sight (I am considering the NP-1RR reticle)

-BR Reflex T12 sound supressor (http://guns.connect.fi/rs/index.html)

Accessories:
-Harris bipod
-Accu-Shot monopod
-Badger Ordnance tactical bolt knob

I already have the license for the rifle. I'm just waiting for the money to pay for it.
Sound supressors are legal in Norway, as long as you have a license for the weapon in question. The suppressor are used with full-power ammunition and functions as a very effective recoil- and sound-reducer without affecting accuracy.

The rifle are intended for long range target shooting and long range hunting. An example would be seals (no... not the little fluffy white ones.), where head shots are required and a high velocity is recomended.

If varmint accuracy and high velocity are required, I would suggest against the 338 Lapua as it offers neither. for higher velocity, the bullets would have to be 'light' and have low BC making wind drift and issue. Pin point accuracy is very large magnums is much harder to get.

Suggest you look at the higher speed 6.5 or 7mm loaded with the highest BC bullets of fragile nature. Over here I would recommend the AMax family. For head shots, I want bullet explosions on impact to ensure that some central nervous component is disabled. Sinking seals would be a bitch to recover.

Jerry

ummmm ok..

high velocity and the 338 lapua .. do not go hand in hand...

high velocity and the 264 wm, 7Ultra, 300ultra, 6/284, 7 STW.. etc...

forget the weaver 2 piece junk.. go with Badger 1 piece base and rings!

NXS R2 ret.. not the R1

you are way over gunned for seals.. I would go with somthing in the 7mm or 30 cal range..

I know I'm kind of overgunned for seals.. .I guess I just am trying to convince myself (and the law) that I realy need this rifle... Main application will be long range target shooting. Hunting with the rifle will be a added bonus.

When talking Badger Ordnance base and rings, should I use the BMG rings for use with a .338 rifle or stick with the standard Badger 30mm rings?

Skyggekrigeren,

Either set of Badger Ord rings will serve you very well. I would only use the Max-50s on a 338 Lapua if you were planning on using a very heavy or very large objective scope that needed to be mounted high off the receiver.

Other then that the standard Bad Ord rings will serve you very well.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Poster: skyggekrigeren
Subject: Re: More questions regarding a .338 laupa rifle

OK. Would the standard 24" barrel be long enough for a .338, or should I order it with a longer barrel?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be looking at a barrel at least 28" long or longer for a 338 Lapua. You want to get maximum powder burn to take full advantage of that big case. 24" will be wasting a lot of unburned powder.

My 2 cents,
Frank D

26" is as short as I would ever recommend and that would be for a light weight big game rifle.

For long range work I would say 28" is about rifle and 30" will work great as well.

The Lapua does not need an overly long barrel, I feel 28" is about right for this bore and case capacity. Remember that you will only gain about 16-18 fps per inch of barrel over 26" with this chambering so its not as dependent on barrel length as say the 30 cal magnums.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, you mean those extra inches in a 30 cal. will increase vº a lot ?

Alg,

Not really but in a shorter barrel, the 338 Bore will generate more velocity with a heavir bullet then will a 30 cal. Simply a factor of bullet surface area and the ability of the larger bored 338 to use faster burning powder under heavier bullets.

In shorter length barrels this will result in more velocity whereas the tighter bored 30 cals need a bit more pipe to get the slower powder burned effectively.

From what I have seen, the big 30 cals will gain around 20-22 fps per inch past 26.

My comment was only to point out that the 338 bore is much more efficent in a shorter barrel length then a 30 cal.

Kirby Allen(50)

i shot a p dog at 60 yards with the 338 lapua with a 300 grain bullet going 2750 fps and there was nothing left of that dog but little peaces laying around. peaces went at least 20ft into the air. it was the energy from the bullet that did it not high vel.

OK... then I'm looking for something like this:

-HS Precision Heavy Tactical Rifle (left handed)in .338 Laupa Magnum with a 28" barrel (remembering that the supressor will add a couple of inches as well to the total lenght of the rifle)
-Badger Ordnance 1-piece base w/20 MOA slant
-Badger Ordnance rings (standard or BMG)
-NightForce 5.5-22x56 NXS sight

-BR Reflex T12 sound supressor
According to the importer, the fluted barrel should not cause a problem with the supressor.

Does anybody have any experience with mercury recoil reducers? Are they useful or just a waste of money?

Kregg,

It was actually tissue displacement from the large caliber bullet more then energy.

I have shot hundreds of gophers at 50 yards and under with my 357 Magnum revolvers loaded with the 125 gr Golden Saber HP loaded to between 1400 and 1600 fps depending on the revolver used. They simply pop into a red and green mist from a solid center hit.

This is soley because of the extreme amount of tissue disruption in the very thin skinned target. Basically turns them into a water ballon!!!

Also why the 338s kill better at long range on big game.

Kirby Allen(50)

You don't need the mercury. A good silencer acts as a muzzle break.
I have shot a braked, and a silenced 338LM, and the recoil is similar.
The silencer makes recoil even more of a slow push.
These were PGWDTI Timberwolves.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.