338 lapua

patrick021

Should I Fl size the cases and anneal every 3 to 5 firings or neck size and do you think it will make any difference in accuracy

Should I Fl size the cases and anneal every 3 to 5 firings or neck size and do you think it will make any difference in accuracy

I would FL size with a .002" shoulder bump and anneal every four firings to keep your loads cycling smoothly and maximizing case life.

Full size new brass........and after your 1st firing neck size only and trim when needed.

And use Lapua Brass

I would FL size with a .002" shoulder bump and anneal every four firings to keep your loads cycling smoothly and maximizing case life.

Stupid question here.......how do you bump the shoulder and how do you measure it?

Get yourself a bump guage, I got one of John Whiddens gauges for my Lapua.
I used to neck size until they got hard to chamber then full length size.
After much thought about concentricity, I came to the conclusion unless i mark my brass and insert it in the chamber the same each and every time, I'm not going to get a good centered case in the chamber. By bumping the shoulders it allows the case to center up with the chamber with the shoulder. Basically the shoulder taper will self center the case if allowed some very slight movement. When the case is tight to the chamber, it can't self center because it's so tight. Although chambers are very strait, they are not perfectly strait...
So, get a bump guage and adjust your die until it sets the shoulder back .001-.002" and you will have very accurate ammo with very long case life.
Google is your friend when it comes to bumping shoulders...lightbulb

Stupid question here.......how do you bump the shoulder and how do you measure it?

By adjusting your sizer die down just enough to cycle your brass easy in your rifle.
Very small adjustments downward and check your brass in your rifle during the process
Then when you chamber easy then lock your sizing die in place.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.