338 Lapua Magnum

laneb777

Any of you shooting a .338 Lapua Magnum? I'm about to acquire a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter and looking for some loading info if anyone is willing to share.

Thanks,

Lane

Just search 338 lapua and you should find many. I am in the process of working mine up now. Maybe list what you want to shoot and others can help.

You'll also find a lot of advice to use only Lapua brass. I was lazy- I ordered some 300 smk's in Lapua brass from SW Ammo to start with since I couldn't find the dies I wanted. I was pleased to find that they shoot sub 1/2" groups (first 2 shots in the same hole kind of groups) in my 111. Long story short, I ended up with a pile of them in a good trade. Once I crack into the last box I plan to pull one & copy it. Sorry I can't give you a recipe, but I've seen their 300smk's shoot great out of 2 different savages- might not be a bad idea to pick up a box or two as a reference load.

You'll also find a lot of advice to use only Lapua brass. I was lazy- I ordered some 300 smk's in Lapua brass from SW Ammo to start with since I couldn't find the dies I wanted. I was pleased to find that they shoot sub 1/2" groups (first 2 shots in the same hole kind of groups) in my 111. Long story short, I ended up with a pile of them in a good trade. Once I crack into the last box I plan to pull one & copy it. Sorry I can't give you a recipe, but I've seen their 300smk's shoot great out of 2 different savages- might not be a bad idea to pick up a box or two as a reference load.

Minute of Elk, help me out please. 300 SMK's? I'm assuming it is a 300 grn bullet, is the SMK the brand? or am I way off. I've been reloading for 30 years but nothing ever this big. Largest is for my 300WSM and 8mm Mauser and lots of shot shell stuff.

thanks

SMK= sierra match king, sierra is the brand, match king is the model, yes it is 300 grains

Thanks... I've used plenty of Sierra bullets but I guess I've never seen it abbreviated before.

I'm reading that the Hornady brass is soft and likes to expand in the chamber. What type of brass do you like? Have you ever used Desert Tactical?

I have the 110 fcp hs 338 Lapua and IMO Lapua is the only way to go, it will survive an insane amount of loadings and pressure.

I would think due to the price that DTA is using lapua brass in their ammo. I have an srs in 338 lapua and 260 rem. I use lapua brass in all my rifles. you may want to look at the scenar bullets in the .338 as well, both the 250 and 300's.

Any of you shooting a .338 Lapua Magnum? I'm about to acquire a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter and looking for some loading info if anyone is willing to share.

Thanks,

Lane

I have a Savage 338 Lapua long range hunter as well and have done quite a bit of research on this site about the brass and loads. I haven't done any load development yet but am pretty happy with the load I am shooting, at the very least it will be a good starting point for you. I am shooting Berger's 300 gr Match Hybrid OTM Tactical with 88 gr. of Hodgdon H1000 and CCI BR2 primers, seating depth or over all cartridge length will be determined by your magazine which will require a deeper seat than what most would consider desirable. This load is giving me under .5" MOA out to 600 yards so far.

I am using Lapua brass it's going to run you about $2/ea for once fired but everybody is claiming an incredible amount of reloads with it so that's what I would recommend as well. You can load your brass hotter than I am, I think I have heard of people going up to 93 gr but your brass and barrel life will be reduced the hotter you load, with that said I plan to use more powder once I have time to do some load development and anticipate ending up somewhere between 90 and 91 gr.

Hope this helps you a little I am a novice compared to most on this site but I did a lot of research before putting a load together.

Survey SAID, Lapua brass is the only practical way to go. Pricey, yes, but is it worth it? Again yes. My friend purchased 100 pieces last year, has shot them a lot, and they don't grow, pockets are tight, and necks are the same as they were when new.
Anything else is waste of money, and aggravation.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts