338 lapua loading help

The amount of meat loss with the GS bullets is staggeringly low. I would not have believed it if I had not personally experienced it. But the bullet shuts down the animals ability to live very quickly. People talk about the "magic bullet", this is very close IMO.

Steve

500, you say,
My cow elk i shot opening day 300-350yds away. Broadside, shot in the base of the neck..
Couldnt even tie a rope around her head or neck for dragging her out 4 miles because all that was left was some fur attaching it to her body.

My big ol stinky mulie. 400 yds + some change. Chasing a doe up the mountain across from me. Hit him right between the shoulders as he was going away from me. Again pie plate size hole destroying the tops of both the shoulders and blowing everything in its way out through a pop can size hole in his neck.

Second cow elk. 707 yard going up through an opening after getting jumped by some other hunters. One shot one dead elk! Right into the boiler room and destroying her right shoulder, boiler room had been through the BERGER BLENDER! !!

So far i am sold on Berger bullets sence i have switched from the barnes tsx i have never shot twice and never had an animal leave there tracks they were shot in.

You then go on to say that you will use nothing else.

No offense but if you are getting that much damage, I would think you would be looking for a better hunting bullet

Well i tell ya what.. im extremely sorry that i posted the picture of my "very poor shot placement" and my experances with these bullets i THOUGHT that was what this board was about. You stick with your hunting bullet and ill stick with mine.

I will definitely have start watching my P's and Q's.

I was reassuring the original poster that the bergers were not blowing up on the surface. That's all we were going for with my posts.

I told you i avoid ruining meat!!! Please help me help you understand this!

Just my .02.

Mag Guy,

You're all good. I am not saying you need to change. This is why I usually do not participate in bullet discussions. I like you just want to give what I know and hope it helps.

Steve

Mag Guy,

You're all good. I am not saying you need to change. This is why I usually do not participate in bullet discussions. I like you just want to give what I know and hope it helps.

Steve

Thanks, and to be perfectly honest i am the same way i usually try to avoid run ins like this so normally dont post on these topics anymore but tried it here and it reminded me why i have such a low posting record and why my pm box gets emptied once a week....

Thanks much RockyMtnMt

500 mag. I honestly don't care which bullet you hunt with, that is entirely up to you. I just got a kick out of the way you described the damage from using the bergers and say you will use nothing else......it just seemed kinda funny and I am just busting your chops.

Heres one more for ya. Why don't you go to the dentist and get some teeth so you can chew your meat instead of drinking it through a straw after using the "berger blender"

500 mag. I honestly don't care which bullet you hunt with, that is entirely up to you. I just got a kick out of the way you described the damage from using the bergers and say you will use nothing else......it just seemed kinda funny and I am just busting your chops.

Heres one more for ya. Why don't you go to the dentist and get some teeth so you can chew your meat instead of drinking it through a straw after using the "berger blender"

That one made me laugh.

Just bring the butcher paper with on the hunt and pack it out 2lbs per package. Freezer ready when you get it home. As long as you don't want steaks.

Steve

PS.
Nothing against Berger bullets, just laughing with the joke.

That one made me laugh.

Just bring the butcher paper with on the hunt and pack it out 2lbs per package. Freezer ready when you get it home. As long as you don't want steaks.

Steve

PS.
Nothing against Berger bullets, just laughing with the joke.

Hahah see the nice think is your burger is all pre ground for you so just less work when you get home ;)

Hey bud I was happy you posted the pic and I also only eat non steroid injected meat only. I was asking about the load data and your pic is an added bonus, Im shooting the 300g bergers with 94g of retumbo with some good promise so far. Here is a vid of some early shots at 1000 yards behind my cabin. I have since shot about 300 more bullets down the tube with better accuracy.
20120521_103815.mp4 video by heydino - Photobucket

What rifle are you shooting?

Whats your powder and load are you using?

Thanks, 500

Off topic...but just a friendly suggestion for 500mag_guy...

Try some 200 grain Nosler Accubonds is that 300 Ultra...they'll kill em just as dead without all the mess.

What rifle are you shooting?

Whats your powder and load are you using?

Thanks, 500

Sorry about the late reply, I am shooting a Savage 338 lr hunter with 94 gr of retumbo and .030 off the lands. I was getting a mv of 2770 out of the factory 26" barrel. This was going to be a beginner rifle to see if I like the lr shooting thing. I am now fully addicted and cant believe the accuracy out of this stock rifle. I will have a little more fun with it this year before I step up to something of better quality. I am going to have to back off on the powder a bit because the new keg lot is burning hotter and showing signs of pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.